cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dilema help

N/A

Dilema help

Hi, 1st time posting here so be gentle please Wink

I recently moved house (Saturday 28/9/05) literally from one end of the driveway to the other. In the process thinking I would switch isp's from BT Openworld to PN due to a recommendation from a colleague about the unmetered downloads & 2mbs for less than BT's cost (think I was on 24.99 from BT, 2mb & went for the 14.99 from PN) a couple of month back. Due to my house's distance from the exchange the max I can get is 1mbs anyway apparently, was the same in the old house, so pointless going for higher speeds.

Rather than migrate from BT, I left it running "just incase" as we were not totally sure of the move-in date (bits of work getting finished on new house) & couldnt really do without having it for a week or so. Besides I could not order from PN until the phone line was installed & active which complicated things as that was close to the move in date. Anyway, got BB+ activated by PN on 22/9/05, with the intention of possibly upgrading to the premier later, depending on how it went. On Wednesday the 22/9/05 I bumped into a different colleague & the conversation of isp's came up & he was telling me of how he was migrating from PN to Zen (as I notice a fair few seem to be) due to the throttling & traffic shaping that had just come in & download caps. Which set alarm bells in my head...but tried to stay positive. Later read up on the forums, which started more alarm bells. I probably should have been checking more but other things in the moving house process sorta took priority.

After setting up pc again Saturday night (yup, sad I know) and checking everything was fine I set about trying a few downloads using the same bittorrent client I had not 4 days earlier. I obviously would rather not say which client or what file, but i had around 130 seeds & 14 or so leeches. I was getting speeds of no higher than 30kB/s when on PN, where in the past on BT I would have seen a file with a seed/leech ratio as this one on maybe 100 or thereabouts as an average. I thought...okay, maybe just a one off...tried more files & a couple of different p2p clients & networks, but still naff download speeds (in my opinion) in comparison to what I was getting from BT.

Later read a bit about p2p "possibly" being throttled (which my colleague had been referring to) in a few threads so tried at various times but the speed never seemed to creep up too much. I understand Im at the bottom of the pile when it comes to bandwidth priority due to my package but I also read that the premier is "lightly" throttled also & a fair few posters saying there aint much difference in the speeds. It also seems longer on loading webpages & connection, thought that could be pyschological at this point as the more I read, the more my opinion goes downhill sadly.

So...after a bit more testing on different files when I had spare time and doing speedtests the next few days (came back with between 802 - 926kbs depending on what speed tool & time of day) I raised a query on Tuesday 27/9/05 with the Tech Support to ask about throttling/traffic shaping etc as I had found a forum post a fair few pages back where someone had the same problem. He had raised a query & apparently tech support "fixed" it so I cut a few bits out of that & put it in my query. Im currently awaiting a response to that query (apart from the autogenerated response) but the more I read the less I feel optimistic.

Took the pc back to the old house earlier to test d/l speeds with the still connected BT broadband (yes, not yet cancelled due to idleness on my part) on the exact same file & there was an almost immediate 40 kb/s increase. Daresay it would have been a lot more if I had left it more than a half hour.

I understand I have a 45 days "get out clause" from bits & pieces Ive read. Have not seen any reference to it as yet in the terms & conditions but is does that apply to the annual contract also? Not just the monthly Im hoping or Im screwed :shock: And would PN charge me for using it , plus the oustanding cost for the modem and connection fee? What Im thinking now is, if I can invoke that 45 day "clause" & get PN cancelled then get BT migrated over to here, I would be happier. Or migrate PN to BT, not entirely sure which way it would go with having 2 active at the moment, Im guessing the latter but would the annual contract allow me to migrate. BT wasnt ideal but it was better for p2p downloads than what Im getting now and it would give me a chance to look for a more suitable isp. I'm not looking forward to the phonecall to BT saying "Well, new house thought I would try a new isp, sadly disappointed, can I come back please?" conversation Sad

Any opinions/help gratefully received. Thanks Cheesy

ps. Sorry about the length of the post there, have a bad habit acquired from work of going into way to much depth at times....times like 2:45am..jesus, that the time? Shocked
8 REPLIES
N/A

Dilema help

- the 45 day period commences on the day of the activation of your line
- you will have to pay for the modem & activation fee
- you will not have to pay for the full contract term
- PlusNet will pay for the migration

details see http://www.plus.net/features/guarantee_terms_and_condtitions.shtml
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Dilema help

Hi,

The Broadband Plus account isn't designed for P2P downloads. There's a limited amount of bandwidth available for P2P and Usenet on Broadband Plus, once this is used up P2P downloads will be slowed down.

If you need the faster speeds for P2P then I would recommend upgrading to Premier.
N/A

Dilema help

well im on premier and i get trotteled
N/A

Dilema help

Yeah, thats what I read khile. Which is why Im thinking of getting out while I can Sad .

I dont do that much p2p in general, have been the last few days for testing this new provider, mainly use it for surfing the net & online games (didnt even know what a Usernet was until last night lol) but when I do want/need to download I really dont want to be waiting like 10 days for 4 gb.

Seems this is going to be an expensive lesson learned then, paying for the modem & activation. I probably should have remebered the old phrase of "better the devil you know".

To rub salt into the wound, the download I set away last night just before going to get got cut off after 2 hours

Thanks for that little summary & link lutzei Smiley
MrToast
Grafter

Dilema help

What do you expect for £14.99pm? PN are quite open about the management of bandwidth through prioritisation in order to maintain good quality.

The only argument may be about whether you accept the choice of services which PN have given priority to. But at least you know what they are and can make your choice accordingly.

The only other routes for an ISP are either to supply more and more bandwidth (and so have a bigger cost base), or to allow al traffic to be obstructed equally.

Only you can make that choice against your needs.

I'd just sound a note of caution about assessing the PN servce from the flavour of these forums.

I was feeling very unhappy about a change in T's&C's becasue I saw the flak here before I receved my email. Sitting down to read both the exisitng and new side by side revealed what I though was a fair move by PN

This made me realise that I had become a victim of the mood on the forums which was not actually a fair reflection of the PN service.

There are examples here of people complaining about 'poor servce' only for it to turn out that there was a fault which could have been quickly sorted had they raised it.
N/A

Dilema help

What do you expect for £14.99pm? PN are quite open about the management of bandwidth through prioritisation in order to maintain good quality.

From peoples opinions (yep, I realise thats what they are on these forums and am trying not to let it sway my mood but sometimes you are right, it does) it does not matter if I pay more that £14.99pm with PN or go for the premier service, its still throttled/shaped. PN may well be quite open, if you either a) ask the right questions or b) are prepared to go on a hunt to track down the information you need/read pages of peoples posts (or opinions). I was under the blind impression that, to coin a phrase, it would "do exactly what it says on the tin" and wasnt aware of the shaping/restrictions etc when I orderd.

I believe one thing I have been in a victim of bad timing. As I think the terms & conditions changed from between me ordering it originally, the order being cancelled by BT as the line wouldnt support 2mb (PN told me), 10 working days or so goes by, me contacting PN & asking whats going on, it being re-ordered and activated - some 3/4 weeks from when I originally ordered. So, I never received the email you speak of.

Yeah, like I said earlier I probably should have looked at the forums more often from ordering it, but its a bit of a catch 22 that you can only see the guest forums before you actually order. I think I only would have seen the change if I had been watching like a hawk :?

Still awaiting feedback from PN about the report I did raise with them. If I have not given them enough to go on, all they have to do is ask /shrug. Been working in IT for the last 3 years (but nothing to do with broadband connections or isp's as you can probably tell) so I know how easy it is for a user to miss something :roll: Then again, if I hadnt answered a query/ticket/complaint in under a couple of days I think I would be getting my P45 Tongue
Community Veteran

Dilema help

Yeah, like I said earlier I probably should have looked at the forums more often from ordering it, but its a bit of a catch 22 that you can only see the guest forums before you actually order. I think I only would have seen the change if I had been watching like a hawk

Guest users and free account holders can see all of the forums. They can only post to the guest forum.

Chris
MrToast
Grafter

Dilema help

... it does not matter if I pay more that £14.99pm with PN or go for the premier service, its still throttled/shaped. PN may well be quite open, if you either a) ask the right questions ...

For perspective a 2Mbps leased line (eg E1 circuit from BT, C&W or other) across London would cost around £5k pa.

All ADSL services from all ISP's are contended. Is it fair to expect that you would get 2Mbps all the time under all circumstances?

If you go for the PN premier product the restriction on P2P is only applied if there would be congestion anyway. It goes back to the question of if a slowdown is to occur do you want it to be managed or to affect all services equally.

PN have taken steps to protect the experience of all users. Something which their T&C's (and I would expect any other ISP too) have always provided for.

I don't think that BT Internet or other ISP's have disclosed so much about how they do it.