cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn't the Internet used to be enjoyable?

N/A

It was for me but the last few weeks it's be utter fucking shite. Surfing, loading of pages, search, go buttons, post buttons, disconnections, slow http downloads, no P2P and everything else has been terrible all weekend. It was bad last week too but this weekend it fell off the cliff for me.

I'd ask for my money back but since I'm on a free month that would be hard...

All we've had from PN is there's nothing wrong, you should leave or we're looking at it. This is dire.

I've already eyed up NewNet for my move (meant to go there 1 wekk ago but thought I'd give PN another chance since they gave me a free month). On my acceptance of that 'free' month I said I'd be off if things aren't sorted. Anyone would think they want these matters sorted.

The countdown is 14 days and I'm definitely off. I have to have some respect for myself FFS.
14 REPLIES
Pathfinder
Grafter

Your first paragraph sums it all up for me in a nutshell!

By coincedence I'm looking at Newnet, it does seem worth a go, reasonable price and they even state that there is no traffic shaping whatsover:

Uncapped service - No traffic shaping or port blocking

NewNet does not operate a policy of managing traffic and traffic types on our broadband network. Many other ISPs introduce packet shaping and other measures to limit the available bandwidth so you do not experience your full broadband potential.

Maybe you copuld update the plusnetters site with how you find Newnet?
N/A

Free month? :shock: They kept that one quiet! I still don't think that'd be enough to keep me sending them money for the service were now getting.
N/A

i rememeber in 2002 when PN used to be really good but lately there service has gone down hill and as a long time customer i'm seriously thinking about migrating.
0ily
Dabbler

This is absolutely unacceptable now, £21.99/mo to be unable to even browse the net without problem after problem; disconnections all over the place, no P2P etc etc... and tell me, why does gaming get a clear run? I dont game but i pay the same price as everyone else for my bandwidth and as such i expect to get the same service. The internet was supposed to be an information network not an amusement arcade. No offence to any gamers but why should i have to put up with webpages loading like i was on dialup?

PlusNowt suck and as soon as I've found a decent new supplier I'm off and my suggestion is that any other sane person do likewise. To be honest i dont know why i stayed so long.
GersFans
Grafter

and tell me, why does gaming get a clear run? I dont game but i pay the same price as everyone else for my bandwidth and as such i expect to get the same service.

Your joking right?

Or did you miss the several hundred posts from gamers complaining about high pings, bad latency, disconnections, ports blocked, etc etc etc..

Its this ISP who is at fault, not gamers.
Pathfinder
Grafter

Yep, I have to give Quake a miss now as I often get pings in the 200's or get disconnected during a game!
0ily
Dabbler

im not joking no, of course i know there are problems gaming as with everything else and yes, i know whos fault is.. im not blaming gamers at all! Its just a quesrtion regarding 'traffic shaping' really, there shouldnt be any for anyone IMO. PlusNowt offer a service then they should be able to provide it at its full potential to al its customers no matter what their particular needs, thats all. As i mentioned in another thread if i go to a restraunt and order a meal i dont expect beans on toast to arrive cause the chef has been too busy..... and then still get charged £50 for it, you know? we should all get what we signed up for, in my case always on, unlimited (in every way) broadband.

Just another angry PlusNowt customer, not that they give a shit.
N/A

Ah the same old cr@pNet I see. Just came on to check If there are any P2P problems and the first thread I open is this one :roll:

Always been apathetic about moving but it seems the service is never going to get better so I'm going to start the ball rollig this week. I really can't see why I am paying £250pa when the mailserver goes down at least weekly If not daily at times, P2P is running worse that when I had 256K access, browser timeouts have become part of the 'norm' during peak times and I haven't tried playing the likes of Doom since Mar. If I was using one of the freeToNet services then I suppose I couldn't complain but I'm not I'm paying £263.88 PER ANNUM I think I have a right to expect a decent service.

If you think it's bad now wait until everyone starts getting broadcasts via the web or more people start to download films, TV programs :roll:
N/A

The reason that gaming get a high priority is simple - they need it to enjoy the experience.

If a web page has high latency then you get a couple of seconds delay, if on the other hand you're playing an online game then months of gaming can be wiped out in seconds if things go wrong in the wrong game.

Its simply a matter of what matters - a web page taking a few seconds longer or months of work down the pan.
N/A

I just logged into PN via a relative's PC so went through their main hello www.plus.com page and the title of the page was:

<title>PlusNet - UK's Leading Internet Service Provider, Broadband, Phone Calls & Dial-up</title>

Isn't there trades' descriptions laws against that sort of thing? :shock: And what are they leading exactly? :lol:

Edit: Fixed my bad grammar
N/A

The reason that gaming get a high priority is simple - they need it to enjoy the experience.

And lets be honest, Gaming uses very little bandwidth.
There really isnt any reason why gaming should be a problem for anyone. And it shouldn't have a negative impact on other users.
N/A

If a web page has high latency then you get a couple of seconds delay, if on the other hand you're playing an online game then months of gaming can be wiped out in seconds if things go wrong in the wrong game.

Its simply a matter of what matters - a web page taking a few seconds longer or months of work down the pan.

Incorrect and untrue. In that statement, or to be more precise the line in bold, you are basically saying that gamers are more important than any other user and that this is fact and a be all and end all.

Lets look at it from both angles. A gamer couldnt care less about browsing and a surfer couldnt care less about gaming. So both parties think they are the more important on the basis its what they do.

I dont think its as blacka nd white as it all seems to be honest. For example the websites dont simply take a couple of seconds longer, we are seeing instances of websites timing out due to issues. On this same token we have gamers having seen instances of extremely high and micheal taking pings ( 600+ ).
Both areas have issues which need addressing and quickly. I am however of the opinion that if a surfer should have to be satisfied with a 200+ ping then likewise should be said about a gamer ( eg gamer talking to surfer etc ), otherwise whats being said is that you are more important than the person your talking to, which I am afraid sint true in the slightest.

Anyway, heres one user hoping that the issues will come to rest pretty darn quick ( hoping to begin the new year with a new Plus beginning ).

Regards,
N/A

Free month? :shock: They kept that one quiet! I still don't think that'd be enough to keep me sending them money for the service were now getting.

I was offered a free month too but it wasn't enough to keep me here. I'm outta here on the 16th. Smiley
N/A

Didn't the Internet used to be enjoyable

Well I have my mac and my new supplier takes over tommorow. Any last reservations I had faded when I tried downloading from Newsnet 5 minutes ago at 15 kbs Sad

I have been with PN for over three years and most of that was good. It's sad that things got to where they are now, but I for one cannot wait any longer for the service to improve.

I hope they sort things out for those who stay, although I am not that confident that they will. I will post my experience with my new ISP to Plusnetters. I hope that it's not a case of "out of the frying pan, into the fire", but as you can now sign up for a single month, the supplier might try a bit harder to keep the customer happy.

Good luck all.