cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dialup Connection Problems

N/A

For the last month or two I'm finding it a frustratingly long process trying to connect. I've been using Plusnet's dialup service for over a year but have never experienced it as bad as it is now. Sometimes it can take upto 10 attempts before I finally connect to the Plusnet server . As far as I am aware nothing has changed this end does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Phil Houghton
6 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Hi Phil,
Sorry to hear you're having problems. What's happening when you're trying to connect? Are you getting engaged tones?? What errors are returned, if anyHuh The FRIACO Anytime accounts are contended so engaged tones can be expected from time to time. Having said that I would not expect you to have this level of difficulty connecting to the service.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

The modem dials, then says 'connecting'. It usually at this point says 'disconnecting' then hangs up. The message I am left with is 'The connection has been terminated, please check your connection settings.' I then keep trying until I am connected. This can take up to 10 attempts before I am connected although I did actually connect first time while attempting to connect to write this reply.

Thanks
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

If you actually dial the 0808 number from your handset, do you get an engaged tone or a data/fax noise?

Purely for testing purposes, if you try connecting on 0845 1400101, what happens? - this is a local rate number and will show up on your phone bill.
N/A

Soz for not replying earlier. Ok, I've tried that number but I stopped trying after the 3rd attempt - just the same. Dialed the 0808 number on the phone, got the data noise!

Do you think it's something my end?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If it works on the handset then I would say that it's more likely something on your side. Either with the modem or drivers, or with dial-up settings.
N/A

I've created fresh internet accounts on my computer; one with the Plusnet anytime number and the other with the local rate number. The local rate number seemed to work more often than not but the anytime number takes upto 10 trys now to get on. Whats the options? Maybe we should go back to the lower package and see how that number works.

Thanks