Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial-up usage (again - sorry!)

ScoUK
Grafter

Dial-up usage (again - sorry!)

Hi folks,

Sorry to bring this topic up for the millionth time, but this usage concept on the Dialup account..

Are you metered for ANY 7 day period? Or is the counter reset back to zero on a single day each week.. I.e. I signed up for +net on a monday, My view-my-usage page starts on mondays.. Does the timer get reset on monday for me?

I read elsewhere that it was reset to zero however, I have been directed to a support ticket from PlusNET stating that I wen't over my max 40hr quota in a given 7 day period... Now that period was NOT between the Monday->Sunday..

This makes it very difficult to monitor the usage ourselves.. THe online usage chart is more or less useless because it's always 48hrs out of date.. I use "No Frills Timer" for loggin my usage locally... Anyone using anything better to account for 'any 7 days usage'?

Thanks in advance,
Alan
6 REPLIES
ncreu
Grafter

RE: Dial-up usage (again - sorry!)

>
> Are you metered for ANY 7 day period? Or is the
> counter reset back to zero on a single day each
> week.. I.e. I signed up for +net on a monday, My
> view-my-usage page starts on mondays.. Does the
> timer get reset on monday for me?
>
As far as I can understand it, Alan, the day on which the usage exceeds the maximum for the previous 7 day period is the trigger.

rp
N/A

Hi there,
The 'week' starts the day you sign up, or the last time you exceeded your fair usage maximum. This lasts 7 days, unless you exceed your fair usage maximum, in which case the 'week' is reset and you start again.
Kind Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Hi Alan,

> I use "No Frills Timer" for loggin my usage locally... Anyone using anything better to account for 'any 7 days usage'?

I also use NFT (it's good isn't it?) and it occurs to me that it should be fairly simple to write a program to scan through its log file to find the heaviest 'any 7 days'? I'll try :|

Tim
ScoUK
Grafter

> The 'week' starts the day you sign up, or the last time you exceeded your fair usage maximum. This lasts 7 days, unless you exceed your fair usage maximum, in which case the 'week' is reset and you start again.
>

Hi Mike,

In that case I'd like to draw your attention to ticket ID 6110154 which seems to state I went over my 7 day quota on a tuesday.. But my usage is reset on monday?

Maths lesson:
Hours in a day 24...
2 days = 48 hours
Time between 1am and 7am is free (I.e. doesn't count as quota)
2 day's free quota = 12 hours
48 hours - 12 hours = 36 hours..

So how could I possibly accumulate 43.5 hours in 2 days?

I'm either very confused about something, or the usage meter is telling lies Smiley

Regards,
Alan
ScoUK
Grafter

> I also use NFT (it's good isn't it?) and it occurs to me that it should be fairly simple to write a program to scan through its log file to find the heaviest 'any 7 days'? I'll try :|
>

D'oh! never thought of that... Something to look into depending on the out come of this thread. Smiley

Thanks!
Alan
N/A

Good Morning,

I would urge anybody who has a query about his or her dial-up usage, to raise it via the Contact Us system. This way we can check your account / usage and advise accordingly.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----