cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial up left behind?

N/A

Dial up left behind?

I used to get connected at between 40 and 44kbps, nearly all the time. Now it's once in a blue moon. At the moment I'm looking at 31.2kbps, which is fairly typical these days. Are us dial-uppers getting left behind? Is all the effort going into Broadband? I know it's not just the ISP, but other things such as the time of day and new broadbanders hogging all the bandwidth. Are the days of getting 44kbps behind me? Am I stuck with 32kbps for ever?
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Dial up left behind?

> I used to get connected at between 40 and 44kbps, nearly all the time. Now it's once in a blue moon. At the moment I'm looking at 31.2kbps, which is fairly typical these days. Are us dial-uppers getting left behind? Is all the effort going into Broadband? I know it's not just the ISP, but other things such as the time of day and new broadbanders hogging all the bandwidth. Are the days of getting 44kbps behind me? Am I stuck with 32kbps for ever?

Good Morning,

The first thing to do if you have suffered a drop in connection speed is to check that you are using the most up to date modem drivers. You can check this on your modem manufacturers website. Also it may be worth deleting your current connection details and recreating them from scratch.
If this doesn't help then please go through the 'contact us' wizard to provide further details. If you can attach to the ticket traceroutes to bbc.co.uk and yahoo.com this would also help in looking into your issue. If you do need to raise a ticket can you perform a dial up test on the 0845 local rate number and see if the speed is affected the same as when dialling the 0808 number.

Regards,

Martin

--
| Martin Cundell......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support..............................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.................@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

Thanks for that, looking for drivers now.

N/A

>Are the days of getting 44kbps behind me? Am I stuck with 32kbps for ever?

FWIW, I often only get 31.2kbps but it seems to be the first downgrade as exchange traffic increases, before the busy tone and the recorded messages kick in (I get 46.6kbps mornings and late evening).

I wonder if the lower contention accounts (Connect Standard, Heavy, Always On) have the same problem?

N/A

> >Are the days of getting 44kbps behind me? Am I stuck with 32kbps for ever?
>
> FWIW, I often only get 31.2kbps but it seems to be the first downgrade as exchange traffic increases, before the busy tone and the recorded messages kick in (I get 46.6kbps mornings and late evening).
>
> I wonder if the lower contention accounts (Connect Standard, Heavy, Always On) have the same problem?
>
>

No they don't speaking from experience I use connect and we use lite at work! Usually no probs! Today and yesterday have defeated the odds though!! LOL!!
N/A

> increases, before the busy tone and the recorded >messages kick in (I get 46.6kbps mornings and >late evening).

Could you tell me what you mean by busy tone and recorded message? I rarely have a problem getting connected, but if I did I wouldn't know if it was busy or I was getting a recorded message.
N/A

JD,

> Could you tell me what you mean by busy tone and recorded message?

Using dialup networking in Windows 98, if a connection attempt fails with a message displayed something like 'Unable to establish connection' and the modem hears a busy (engaged) tone, it can automatically redial if its configured to. This is good (relatively, I'd rather connect first time).

If the number is too busy to manage an engaged tone, all the modem hears is a recorded message (sosmething like 'The service you requested is unavailable'). It doesn't understand this and just hangs on, hoping for something to happen.

To redial I have to click Cancel to hang up the phone line, click 'Connect automatically' to re-enable automatic connection for next time, remember to wait 15 seconds, then click 'Connect' to try again. This can be tedious, especially on school days around 4pm or all afternoon since Christmas.
N/A

Thanks Colin, I think I get it now. I thought you were getting a message onscreen saying "Busy" or something!
N/A

Since my first post, I have been getting connected at 44kbps every time! I better not touch anything . . .