cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial up connection given same IP add as the Modem/Router

N/A

My account has a fixed IP address which is great for my broadband modem/router. However when I use a payg dial up connection at work to try and administer my router via http, the dial up connection is given the same ip address as the broadband modem. Hence I cannot get to my router via the internet. I have tried altering the ip properties of the dial up connectin to fix an Ip address, but of the 10 addresses I have tried (either side of my fixed ip address) all are rejected by the dial up with TCP/IP error 753. Can anyone advise How I can access my modem from a dial up connection from a another computer. If Not possible then can I request a range of 4 Ip address for my Broadband Premier account. I beleive this is allowed after reading the Help Assistant article.
5 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Hi

For the dialup connection are you using the same username and password as your adsl connection? If so this would give you the same IP.

Easiest way around this would probably to sign up for a free pay as you go dial up account.

Phil
N/A

Thanks Phil.
But do I really want another account with another username and password to remember/change frequently?
The Help Assistant pages make a statement saying 1 of the benfits of a fixed IP is that you can access your network resources remotely from another computer.
Have raised a ticket.
I dare say that Plusnet will give the same answer as you.
N/A

Yip - defo much easier to to set up a payg dial-up account to use.

I would think that a request for an IP block for the reasons you mentioned may be declined on the basis that a free dial up account would solve your issue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Dial up connection given same IP add as the Modem/Router

However when I use a payg dial up connection at work to try and administer my router via http, the dial up connection is given the same ip address as the broadband modem.
That's how it's supposed to work - your account has a fixed IP. If your ADSL is down and you have to use the modem you will get the same IP as normal.

As suggested, you need to sign up for a dialup PAYG account.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The Help Assistant pages make a statement saying 1 of the benfits of a fixed IP is that you can access your network resources remotely from another computer.

That is why the dialup gets the same IP. If ADSL is down and your home network is running on modem it still has the same IP so you can still access it remotely.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)