cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial up account with Plusnet to run alongside BB?

newinvention
Grafter

Does Pnet offer a dial up a/c that you can run alongside BB (I have a teleworker package), when the ADSL line goes down?

How would I go about setting up the dial up a/c? I'm told I'd have to buy a 56K modem. I would only (hopefully!) use this a/c for sending emails when I'm stuck.

I'm also told that some ISP's offer this dial up a/c free to BB customers as a back up. Is that true?

Anyone advise?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You can automatically use dial-up if your broadband connection goes down. It's an 0845 number, so will cost at lo-call rate.

Details can be found on your 'Connection Settings' –> Connection Details page.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

I use both.

When my plusnet BB drops or it won't connect or I get timeout errors (repeat to fade...) I connect my laptop to the plusnet 56K dial-up connection, using the same username and password. It's not free, the cost of the 0845 call will be on your bill.

Sometimes the dial-up is more reliable and yes, it is possible to connect BOTH my desktop to BB and my laptop to dial-up AT THE SAME TIME with SAME username and password. Great security....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Hmm. I remember reading some time ago that is wan't possible to do that? A posting from a staff member confirmed this (can't remember which one). Perhaps this has changed now then.

Though I'd recommend opening another free dial-up account under a different username in case this is put back.
N/A

I've never tried it but you get the same IP address (on prem) when you connect with dial up. I'd imagine you can't use both at the same time.
N/A

It was possible 2 weeks ago when I did it.
I found it by mistake.
I was transferring files and couldn't get my laplink to work so I emailed myself from desktop. I usually then disconnect my desktop from BB.
I then logged my laptop into dial-up, downloaded the email with files, then I realised both were still connected, I had forgotten to log my desktop off BB.

They were definitely both connected, I had the 2 small blue computer screens on taskbar and both were to plusnet, same username. I double checked.
newinvention
Grafter

.... I didn't realise I could also dial up when BB was down. That's good news. Do I need a dialup modem to connect up?

Also .. I just checked the connection details section. Must I press the configure button now to set it up. It won't scupper my current BB settings, will it?
Community Veteran

Yes you do need a dialup modem to dial the dialup phone number Wink

Downloading the setup script will just create a dailup networking entry but it may set that connection as te default. Just go into connection settings in IE and make sure it is not the default connection.

Note: it is not recommended to have both your dialup connection and broadband connection active at the same time if you have a static IP because both connections will be given the same IP (The IP address is linked to your username, not your broadband connection). The network can get confused when this happens which can result in both connections having problems sending/receiving data. This is because the routing for the IP address should only ever resolve to a single destination. While this may appear to work for some, the setup is not designed for both to be active at the same time.
newinvention
Grafter

Thanks Peter ... mmmmm ... it's all a tad above my head ... I may have to get someone in to help me. But thanks for all your feedback. It's good to know there is an alternative to BB when that falls over.
N/A

All we need now is for the alternative dial up number to become free of charge Smiley