cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Dial-Up) Problems - 'Connecting to Plusnet ADSL...'

N/A

(Dial-Up) Problems - 'Connecting to Plusnet ADSL...'

1. ADSL modem connect to local BT exchange perfectly everytime, never a problem there and if it was, it would be BT to blame not Plusnet.

2. After ADSL sync with local BT exchange, I do the usual (fake) dial up connection to connect to Plusnet servers to get online.

I usually always have a problem with STEP 2. above. I've setup the dial up connection in my Windows Startup folder to connect immediately straight after the ADSL modem syncs with local BT exchange.

However, recently the "connecting to Plusnet" dial up connection usually never connects and gives the following message:

See Picture

The thing is, i cancel it and try again (and again) and it works eventually but this is just stupid unless theres a problem on your end or maybe I can change the server settings in the dial up properties to some setting you would recommend for faster connection.

Another question, what about if Plusnet made their own dial up software like some other ISPs do which would give more info than the standard dial up connection status?
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: (Dial-Up) Problems - 'Connecting to Plusnet ADSL...'

PS. Does that mean I can't use a working hyperlink in my post above as you don't support it yet? Cry
N/A

This was exactly my problem too this morning - 5 times it took me to connect!! Can't be both of us doing something wrong.......

I got the "could not connect to remote computer" message myself - but it's the same thing.... I'm sure it's a plus net problem!
N/A

Am I right in suggesting this is a Windows PPPoA problem where it can't always connect due to limitation of connecting via PPPoA versus connecting via PPPoE which is more instantaneous?
N/A

> Am I right in suggesting this is a Windows PPPoA problem where it can't always connect due to limitation of connecting via PPPoA versus connecting via PPPoE which is more instantaneous?

<Damn, I wish I could just "edit" my posts instead of making a reply for everything I want to add.>

Anyway, a friend of mine who has NTL has a much simpler "always on" setup. For cable, you just need a 10/100 network card and run a CAT5 cable to your cabletv box and voila, thats it, always on using PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) and according to him, unlike ADSL, its not a 2 step process like i mentioned above, its a single already connected to cable network via the set-top box meaning you are indeed already connect when you get into Windows everytime.

I think this has something to do with how Windows connects using PPP over ATM which was good enough for 56k modem and a workaround method for ADSL modems. PPPoE would be faster (to get connected that is) and more compatible or something like that, it has more benefits than PPPoA for broadband.
N/A

> Am I right in suggesting this is a Windows PPPoA problem where it can't always connect due to limitation of connecting via PPPoA versus connecting via PPPoE which is more instantaneous?

Hi All,

I am sorry to hear you have had a few problems connecting. Please raise your issues on our "Contact Us" system so we can investigate further for you. Remember to include all the information you have and any tests you may have performed.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

PPPoE - Sounds good to me:

"In addition, well-designed third-party PPPoE client software--as compared to the basic PPP drivers bundled with operating systems and used for PPPoA--can provide a range of operational benefits to both the subscriber as well as the service provider. Chief among these are network management and diagnostic capabilities that can identify operational problems and automatically offer resolutions. This data, available to help desk staff, can also dramatically reduce the time it takes to resolve the problems of customers who call for assistance." --- http://www.nts.com/library/why_pppoe.html

Would this be a future upgrade to the service that only requires new (third party - Plusnet) client software?
N/A

> PPPoE - Sounds good to me:

[snip]

> Would this be a future upgrade to the service
> that only requires new (third party - Plusnet)
> client software?

I expect that it will require new hardware too, unless your existing device can handle both PPPoA and PPPoE.

--
Slàinte!
Al

[ADSL Home self-install + Asus 6000EV]
N/A

> > PPPoE - Sounds good to me:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Would this be a future upgrade to the service
> > that only requires new (third party - Plusnet)
> > client software?

Hi All,

The reason that PPPoE is not available is because the BT infrastructure doesn't support it yet (as all the traffic runs over ATM up until it gets to the exchange).

I am not sure if BT plan to release a PPPoE service in the future but if they do I am pretty sure it will be widely publicised.

Regards

Josh
--
| Josh Berry.......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.............@http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

Just a general reply to say that as if by magic, i'm (dial up) connecting to Plusnet more instantly again after I changed a few advanced settings like "disable IP header compression" for example.
N/A

> Just a general reply to say that as if by magic, i'm (dial up) connecting to Plusnet more instantly again after I changed a few advanced settings like "disable IP header compression" for example.

Hi Spencer,

Glad to hear your problem seems to have resolved itself. If you have any further problems, just let us know.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----