Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deterioration in PlusNet service

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Deterioration in PlusNet service

What is happening with the PLus Net service ? It is going down the drain rapidly. Trying to connect is becoming a lottery - often as many as five attempts, except early in the morning. And once you are logged on, the mail servers are slow, desparately slow. I gave up twice today.

I changed from BT because of this sort of thing. When I first signed up to Plus Net, the service was magical, but recently it has deteriorated so much, I am thinking of changing again.

Please assure me it is going to get better.
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Deterioration in PlusNet service

I have the same problem. This is only since the connection breakdown last week when many of us couldn't connect at all, I wonder if it's B.T. to blame again?

Saying that the connection speed at the moment is ok although it took a couple of times to get on, the first 2 giving me the engaged tone.

No doubt Plus net will find the solution, I have full faith in their honesty.
N/A

As posted in our Service Status and newsfeed today....

FRIACO Platform - Service Update
Dear Customers

Following on from the recent implementation by BT of 'engaged tones' to replace
the various error messages previously outputted, we can confirm a significant
amount of follow up work relating to monitoring the performance of the FRIACO
platform as a whole has been conducted with BT.

The aim of this work is to ascertain where network congestion is occuring. In very simple terms this occurs at three locations:

- The local exchanges
- Centralised concentrators (where the FRIACO calls are groomed)
- Backhaul capacity delivered to PlusNet by BT.

As a result of this work, we are better placed to deal with managing issues on
the FRIACO network as and when they occur.

We are also pleased to confirm that in line with our policy of managing backhaul (or portage) capacity, according to contention on active Connect accounts, we have increased our capacity by 15% in order to maintain the quality of service you have come to expect.

Thankyou for your continued custom!

PlusNet Customer Support.
--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| PlusNet Customer Support .......... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
runhare
Rising Star

This is an interesting reply; I am having the exact same probelms which the users above have indicated and Plus Net support are asking me to proove it so they can raise it as an issue with BT!

How much proof do you need, it is happening, so please get BT to do something about it.

Speaking to BT engineers as a matter of urgency.

G P Smout
N/A

Same here.
I've got to the stage where I hope that the numbers of us having the same problems will allow the penny to drop that the problem is not with our settings/modem, but out there in BT land.

Norman

> This is an interesting reply; I am having the exact same probelms which the users above have indicated and Plus Net support are asking me to proove it so they can raise it as an issue with BT!
>
> How much proof do you need, it is happening, so please get BT to do something about it.
>
> Speaking to BT engineers as a matter of urgency.
>
> G P Smout

--
N/A

I have to agree that the service has deteriorated quite badly. I went down the 'Contact Us' route some months ago and BT.net investigated my connectivity problems at that time - engaged tones, cut-offs, slow email servers etc. Apparently it was a local exchange capacity issue and things did improve until about a month ago.

Now it's every bit as bad again, to the extent that I was going to raise a ticket again this evening, but saw this thread first and realised it's quite a widespread problem.

PlusNet - you really have to do something about sorting BT out once and for all - it's costing you the goodwill of a loyal customer base and undermining the hard work of your support team.

It's a real shame because the packages you offer are good value and Plusnet has hitherto enjoyed an excellent reputation which is being damaged by a third party.
--
N/A

My connection also seems to be getting worse, I have been gettting a recorded message saying:

"The service cannot be connected"

What is that all about?
Try again and it's engaged then back to this message, then a connection(!) for 10 seconds ..... 10 more attempts to get connected.

Gary
N/A

> My connection also seems to be getting worse, I have been gettting a recorded message saying:
>
> "The service cannot be connected"
>
> What is that all about?
> Try again and it's engaged then back to this message, then a connection(!) for 10 seconds ..... 10 more attempts to get connected.
>
> Gary
>

Confirming a very similar sequence of events in the last week from Ipswich (Kesgrave) on 01473 63xxxx number.

No finger pointing - its not my style, but it does not reflect well on what is otherwise an excellent service from PlusNet which I'm happy to recommend to anybody.

Malcolm
N/A

Just over two years age my quarterly phone bill was around £200. Recently, as a result of unmetered internet service and BT's free evening and weekend calls, that bill has dropped to around £70. If other BT customers are enjoying the same savings could this mean that BT's service levels are at risk because of increasing lack of resources?

BT can have a significant effect on ISP provision, an example being last year's change in Surftime conditions which Plusnet's support staff won't forget in a hurry.

I am presently puzzled by a reduction in data transfer rate which starts after I've been on the net for around an hour. Eventually the thing almost locks up, but after a reboot we're back to full speed again. Someone suggested that upgrading from Windows 98 to 2000 would help, but I'm not keen on making changes (and contributing additional funds to Microsoft) unless I really have to. Anybody really know why it happens?

KeithC

N/A

Morning all,

The reason we have been asking for modeom logs etc from users having difficulties is that we need this information to be able to establish the need for the provision of more capaicity; as recently announced.

The requirement for this as you are aware, has now been identified and we look forward to once again, providing the service you have come to expect.

Best Regards,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
runhare
Rising Star

well the probelms you are hoping to have fixed are still there; why dont you go and visit a few customers, with a BT engineer and discuss the probelms face to face,( or is that too much to ask)
N/A

I had that messge recently and rais a support ticket, i was informed that this was todo with the exchange being overloaded, it sounds like bt have too many customers on FAIRCO and +net are getting pasted, i suspect from some of the posts +net are suffering so btinternet customers can stay online...

Can +net form some sort of user group for us to harras BT through, it might be the only way to get this fixed!

> My connection also seems to be getting worse, I have been gettting a recorded message saying:
>
> "The service cannot be connected"
>
> What is that all about?
> Try again and it's engaged then back to this message, then a connection(!) for 10 seconds ..... 10 more attempts to get connected.
>
> Gary
>

--
Turtel
http://www.turtels.cjb.net
N/A

> Can +net form some sort of user group for us to harras BT through, it might be the only way to get this fixed!

Hi there,

We are working closely with BT with regards to the FRIACO service. Watch this space! A number of improvements on BT's side should be rolled out shortly and this will restore the quality of service you have come to expect from PlusNet.

Bear in mind though that if your problem is exchange capacity then this needs to go through BT.

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Hi Mike,
Are you suggesting that we wait for the improvements 'rolled out shortly' before spending a lot of time making notes of how many times and when we can't connect together with the sudden drop off in speed (or incease) between 'connections' made minutes apart, or would you like to be flooded with reams of details from us all?

Norman

> > Can +net form some sort of user group for us to harras BT through, it might be the only way to get this fixed!
>
> Hi there,
>
> We are working closely with BT with regards to the FRIACO service. Watch this space! A number of improvements on BT's side should be rolled out shortly and this will restore the quality of service you have come to expect from PlusNet.
>
> Bear in mind though that if your problem is exchange capacity then this needs to go through BT.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> --
> | Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Customer Support......................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

--
N/A

I dont know if it was anything to do with my exchange, but that was what was suggested, who would i contact at BT, and i doubt that they would do anything, since they recon it is too small to be worth thinking about in terms of dsl, so i doubt they'll incresase capasity either....
--
Turtel
http://www.turtels.cjb.net