cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Details of Free Domain

macowens
Grafter

Details of Free Domain

In my member centre this morning I got a message about a free domain, but I didn't have time to follow it up, now I can't see anything about it - can someone point me in the direction of some sort of explanation.

Thanks

BTW, from the Help and Support mainpage, on the right is a link to 'Discussion Forums' but it links to Plusnet forums which is something as you know I can't log into!
9 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Details of Free Domain

Hi,

The free domain option has become available because of the recent spam/webmail issue. Some of the background can be found in this post:

http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/05/23/webmail-incident-report/

If you want to register the domain all you need to do now is go to the Domain Names link on the left and follow the register instructions, pick yourself a uk domain and fill in all the details.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Details of Free Domain

Oh and thanks for pointing out the link, I've raised that internally to get it corrected. If you want to log in to the PlusNet forum you can do by using the username guest and password guest.
macowens
Grafter

Details of Free Domain

Thanks for that and whilst not trying to get the last word, there should not be Plusnet forums and Force9 forums, there should only be one set of forums shared between us all.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Details of Free Domain

A joint site covering all the ‘Plusnet Group’ is already under construction and the beta site is viewable here;
http://community.plus.net/
You can pick your own username and password if you want to join or you can just have a browse and see what is coming.

Regards, Colin.
jmd
Grafter

Details of Free Domain

sorry but am not sure what having a domain name means in respect of better security/less spam?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Details of Free Domain

A joint site covering all the ‘Plusnet Group’ is already under construction and the beta site is viewable here;
http://community.plus.net/
You can pick your own username and password if you want to join or you can just have a browse and see what is coming.

Yep, and the hardware is due anytime now so that we can move the site out of current beta phase and begin switching to that from the seperate forums we have now.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Details of Free Domain

sorry but am not sure what having a domain name means in respect of better security/less spam?

I guess the main way of getting less spam is that the domain name allows you an easy way of changing email addresses so that any spam coming in now can be blackholed or the old address phased out and replaced with the new address.
macowens
Grafter

Details of Free Domain

If your username is Member1 then your email address would be anythingyoulike@member1.f9.co.uk. Then you can setup redirects, so if you signed upto for example Sky, you could tell them your email address is sky2007@member1.f9.co.uk and you could have that redirected to for example member1@googlemail.com (I use that example because googlemail are good at dealing with spam).
Then at anytime if you find sky2007@member1.f9.co.uk to have become unuseable you could change the redirect to be blackhole@member1.f9.co.uk and you would never see any emails addresed to it (or you could phone Sky and ask them why they are sending you so much spam).

I currently have about 50 redirects built up over about 4-5 years, most of them I don't use anymore but it works well for me. I did ask F9 some time ago to redirect my default mailbox, I had to redirect postmaster@myusername.f9.co.uk first and now I don't get any spam at all although all my redirects still work. I find this a much more usable system that I have control of.

Not really sure why they have to offer an extra domain as the functionality seems to exist already.

I am becoming much more of a positive fan of F9, just as long as I realise they are a little rough around the edges.
macowens
Grafter

Details of Free Domain

I have tracked down the details of the free domain offer

Claim your FREE .co.uk, .org.uk or .me.uk domain!

As part of the series of improvements we are making for customers which were announced on the Community Site, we'd like to offer you a free domain name. It's yours to keep and whilst you stay a broadband or subscription dial-up customer we'll automatically renew it every 2 years - for free!

We're offering this in response to customer requests and as a solution to preventing further spam coming to your usual address. If you'd like a free .co.uk, .org.uk or .me.uk domain, click the button below.

Terms for free domain name offer

1. This is an optional offer to claim a free domain. You do not have to accept this and no changes will be made to any existing PlusNet domains which you may have.

2. Only 1 free .co.uk, .org.uk or .me.uk domain name is available per PlusNet customer account.

3. The free domain is not available to PlusNet customers who have free accounts.

4. The domain will remain free of charge to you as long as you remain a PlusNet broadband or subscription dial-up customer.

5. After you have registered for a free domain we will automatically renew this for you every 2 years at no charge.

6. In order to prevent abuse of the offer, a charge of £5.99 will be applied if you wish to transfer the free domain to another supplier within 12 months of initial registration. This price represents the wholesale cost of the domain and will only apply if the domain is transferred away from PlusNet. It will not be applied if you cancel your account or the domain name at a later date.

7. Out of courtesy, please only register the free domain if you intend to use it.