cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay for DNS propagation start? My DNS table is stuck?

N/A

Yesterday I started to use the domain tool to administer my PlusNet-hosted domain (beachsolutions.com). The first entries appeared on the PlusNet DNS servers within a couple of hours. Good. (Yes I know propagation to the rest of the world takes days thereafter).

But further changes, also made yesterday, have failed to appear in a timely fashion.

Is anyone else out there successfully updating their domain today/yesterday? Or is it just my table?

I'm waiting for response to ticket 19250126 since 1pm but I wonder if this is limited to just me? Is all propagation stalled perhaps?
12 REPLIES
N/A

Hmm,

Funny this, I updated my domain also so that I could use my mail server at home and use the Plusnet mail servers as backup mail servers. I used the SMTP option under the email heading and at first it forwarded the emails to me fine. Since the initial first one or two its now reverted back to using itself.

For the DNS to update you should allow 4 hours and for the CACHE to renew you should allow up to 24 hours. Problem is im over 24 hours now and nothing on the plusnet servers seems to have changed one little bit Sad

Think I might need to change the nameservers and configure things a little bit differently...
N/A

Well it's now 40 hours without the propagation starting on the PlusNet DNS servers. It's clearly broken. No reply to my ticket entered yesterday at 1PM. The business continues to be cut of from its customers. Not happy. Very stressed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You could have a check to see whether PN have started the process by testing lookups on specific servers using this tool (the first one on the page linked).

If Plusnet are the authorative servers for the domain you nned to check ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Jelv,

I have been using this toold for some time and nothing has changed. I dont know if something should though cause for intents ands purposes the domain will still point to plusnet and plusnet forward things onto me.

Ill ask Ben to check lol.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@tomspcs

Looking at your records, the difference to when I was running a mail server with SMTP mail delivery is that you have an 8 IP block - I wonder if that is part of the problem. How do you say which IP you want the mail delivered to?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ianwild
Grafter

If Bind sees an error in your zonefile when it tries to reload with the new config, the new cofnig will be rejected and nothing will change. Eventually this will break your domain entirely when the record expires.

I'm not sure what your last few changes were, but you should back these out. On a quick inspection, it may be that two MX records of the same value are the cause here. Although I think there are options in bind to allow this sort of thing (For load balancing), I suspect our servers are configured strictly and ultimately the point of MX priorities is that they allow you to prioritise servers!

The other possibility is the ftp record is causing a conflict somewhere, but I think the quickest way to sort this is going to be a bit of trial and error. Let us know if you make these changes and the zone file hasn't reloaded within four hours, and I will take a deeper look.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Ian,

It sounds like tomspcs and I have similar issues.

I'd like to think that the domain admin web page won't allow me to create records that bind will reject OR will at least tell me if they are rejected. This is my worry: if I've screwed up or the web interface has screwed up, how can I tell? I have to wait and wait and wait... and mither Support -- possibly wasting their time and mine.

It would be very helpful, both for understanding and for diagnostic purposes if the web interface would present the actual zone file entries for the domain, verbatim. I know what they should look like. If I could see the raw file content I could be sure they're right. What's more I'd have visibility of the 'built-in' records such at 'ftp'.

As for duplicate MX priorities, this is a legitimate thing to do and quite common (eg see MX for google.com). I can't tell if PN's bind is configured to disallow these (I'd be supprised), but perhaps you can? I can see that my table if finally propagating but only one of my two MX entries has appeared.

As for my ftp record, I wondered if my record was in conflict with a 'built-in' record. Again, if only I could see the actual final entries. My ftp record has begun propagation now and is valid so no, the 'built-in' ftp record apparently goes away.

Four hours? Hmm, my last changes took more than 40! Has something been quietly fixed...?
Ianwild
Grafter

It isn't realistic for us to build a tool that can sanity check your DNS records and give you the sort of control that the system does now - The rules around zone files are long and complicated and this is an advanced feature.

The web interface is very simple - I would be surprised if it has screwed up, and I just added a CNAME to one of my domains that appeared in under 30 minutes.

The backend of this system is quite complicated, and I hear what you are saying about being able to see the zone file that gets built. It's a good idea, and something I'll discuss with the people who know.

One day, we will get to a proper DB driven DNS server which updates instantly - Until then, there are some other things we would like to do with domains and the DCS (Such as automating the renewal process), that are higher priority for us.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Just to say my issues have now been sorted.

Not sure if it was a slow server or just because something got stuck. Lets hope things stay well Smiley
N/A

Tom,
Yes, my records have come to life now too, Hmm.

Ian,
Thanks for your reply. I know it's not a simple issue. But I had to ask.

I'm still unsure if duplicate MX priorities are accepted. I have two entries like this:

MX 10 vmx0.viatel.net.
MX 10 vmx1.viatel.net.

but only one (the latter) has propagated. I'll have to experiment...
N/A

Oh look, further changes made today appear in less than two hours. Now I'm convinced it was stuck yesterday.

Experiments show that MX records with equal priority are not supported. Boo hiss. Apparently only one (the last) entry with equal priority is propagated. My other entry is apparently ignored. I wonder if this is what was jamming it up yesterday and someone has 'fixed' it.
N/A

Could well be lol.