cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deja vu

ceridwen
Grafter

Deja vu

On the 17 February 2005 I received an e-mail from PN which included the following:

Following BT's recent announcement that they plan to increase broadband speeds up to 8Mb across their local exchange network, we are delighted to offer free speed upgrades and a brand new product range for our customers.

From April, you will be able to take advantage of these faster broadband speeds as they become available, giving you a free-of-charge upgrade to the fastest broadband available

The rest of the e-mail concerned a new traffic management system.

On the 21 January 2006 I received an e-mail from PN which included the following:

2006 is the year when high-speed broadband will become a reality. BT will be upgrading their network to enable all telephone exchanges to support speeds up to 8Mb – this work is scheduled to begin this coming April. As soon as these speeds become available on your line, we’ll be giving you access to them.

You will get a free upgrade to faster speeds, if your line will support them.

The rest of the e-mail concerned a new traffic management system.

Anyway we all know that PN jumped the gun back then (and many said so back in February 2005, only to be told that PN knew what they were doing...)

However, this does mean that PN will have announced no less than three different pricing models for >2Mb speeds before they actually deliver them.

The people I feel sorry for are those already paying for 4Mb and 8Mb speeds on the basis of being first in the queue/eligible for a free upgrade (rather than higher SUP limits). True, they'll get a refund if they can't subsequently get that speed, but they wo'n't get a refund if they do get that speed even though someone who has been paying £18 less will now also get the speed upgrade for free when available at their exchange.

Matthew
3 REPLIES
N/A

Deja vu

I deleted it after I read it, but i seem to recall something at the bottom about not getting a refund if you had taken advantage of the increased SUP levels for the higher speeds. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Regards, John Taylor.
jagger
Grafter

Deja vu

Correct John,

It truly is a horrible echo of the "free" 2meg upgrade I waited 9 months for.There were some long term customers who waited longer than me,with manual mop-ups taking seemingly for ever.

They won't catch me again this time. Cool
N/A

Deja vu

Thanks, I thought that was what it said. Hmmm, seems a bit sharp to me.
Regards, John Taylor.