cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Definitions of types of usage

N/A

Can someone tell me what type of usage using a webcam on MSN Messenger is? My son has just acquired a webcam and my PAYG usage has just gone sky high over the past few days. If I upgrade to Premier, I see that there is a peak-time cap beginning at 10Gb for certain usage types but I don't know what type of usage I'm using.

I mainly surf and send emails, upload to my webspace (web space not with Plusnet). My son plays games sometimes and uses MSN messenger a lot and now with webcam. Haven't used PlusTalk yet but I don't know whether this type of usage is different and I don't know what Peer 2 Peer is.

Can anyone kindly enlighten me please?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi!
Usage is calculated from ALL traffic through your connection between 4pm-Midnight daily. So you might want to switch-off your PC :lol: .
As you exceed the limit, in worst case scenario, you still will be able to use your conection, but with less speed and certain types of traffic (such as P2P, FTP etc.) (not webcam or email or surfing or uploading to your website) could become blocked.
Hope it helps.
Community Veteran

@serhly I don't know what you use to upload to websites but I use FTP...
N/A

I don't think FTP to PlusNet webspace is limited once management kicks in though.
N/A

Thanks for the replies. My web space isn't with Plusnet so I could have trouble is what I deduce.

I'm a little confused about what usage I'm allowed outside of the peak times. Is it unlimited or is this where the 30Gb limit comes in?

Also, if certain applications do become slow/blocked because I've reached the limits, are they sped up/unblocked outside of peak times?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit elementary - I've read and re-read the info on the site but just can't quite fathom it.

Oh, and what exactly is peer2peer?
Community Veteran

peer2peer is P2P is filesharing.

For info on what your allowances are and what affect using too much will have, see the following 2 PUG links:

For the old pakages see: http://usergroup.plus.net/sup_calc_pre0406.php
For the new packages see: http://usergroup.plus.net/sup_calc.php

Note the new one applies only if your product has been changed to the premier option X or BB+/PAYGO equivelants.

The 30GB SUP allowance is on the old products and is peak time only. The old products had a 100GB off-peak limit and a separate P2P/UseNet/FTP peak time allowance, the new ones have no defined off-peak limits unless otherwise specified in the traffic management help pages.
N/A

@serhly I don't know what you use to upload to websites but I use FTP...

I use PSCP coz SFTP is disabled on my host. Cry