cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferred charge for modem?

N/A

Has anyone else be caught by this?

I signed up & took the "Free" modem, even though I was going wireless, I just paid the P&P & low, my wireless router got here first.

Now I see if I cancel at any stage, I have to pay for the unused modem.

This was not clear in the original sign-up speel. Having taken advice on this, it appears we can go to the courts to avoid this, or at the very least, return the modem unused.

Anybody else want to join me on this?

I have to say, the service is just fine, it is just the disingenuous terms employed which have riled me. The case is there to be won, no worries there

Neill
8 REPLIES
Ziggur
Grafter

I have just joined PlusNet.

Prior to signing up I read the Terms & Conditions where it is quite clearly stated that, in the event of termination within the first year, there is a charge for the modem and the BT connection fee.

Check Clause 19:2 after browsing to the appropriate page from clicking "Legal" at the foot of this page.

Mike
Ziggur
Grafter

I have just joined PlusNet.

Prior to signing up I read the Terms & Conditions where it is quite clearly stated that, in the event of termination within the first year, there is a charge for the modem and the BT connection fee.
N/A

free activation plus starter pack

If u read on around clause 19:3 etc if you have signed up for the free connection and modem plus 2 microfilters the following is the penalty for leaving within 5 years of signing up (lol cry) Sad

Free Set-up Promotion
With the Free Set-up promotion, the set-up (activation and/or hardware) is free of charge if you stay with PlusNet broadband for five years. If you decide to leave PlusNet broadband (including downgrading to a narrowband product) within 5 years of signing up, you will need to pay a cancellation fee.

These cancellation fees are in addition to any cancellation fee associated with any other Contract you may have in force at the time of cancellation. The cancellation fees are summarized in the table below.

Product Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5 Year 6+
Activation £58.75 £47.00 £35.25 £23.50 £11.75 £0.00
USB Modem £25.00 £20.00 £15.00 £10.00 £5.00 £0.00
N/A

only me again

Well i've been a complete idiot, i assumed having been with bulldog for a 12 month contract and getting a free modem with that service that plusnet would be the same, I lent my original modem to a friend and now i'm going to be bound to a 5 year contract with plusnet I feel slightly conned, I might have to leave the country and do a runner lol lol :twisted: , anyone signing up should learn to read the contract terms and conditions and especially the "subsection" in clause 19:3 showing the details of the subsection . Evil
N/A

Do you still have to pay this if you leave within the 11 or however many days of joining PlusNet and having your connection?

-Williams1662
N/A

14 days to cool off but its a complete blag having to pack everthing up and then get my old modem back not to mention then having to manually set up the connection but i will be looking into this more tomorrow when i've got a few hours sleep, i've not had a connection for 8 weeks so i'm just playin catch up which inevitably means not much sleep at all , :shock:
Community Veteran

Re: only me again

Well i've been a complete idiot, i assumed having been with bulldog for a 12 month contract and getting a free modem with that service that plusnet would be the same, I lent my original modem to a friend and now i'm going to be bound to a 5 year contract with plusnet I feel slightly conned, I might have to leave the country and do a runner lol lol :twisted: , anyone signing up should learn to read the contract terms and conditions and especially the "subsection" in clause 19:3 showing the details of the subsection . Evil

You are not tied into a five year contract, simply if you leave within five years you pay back some of the cost that PN had to pay to set you up. The exact amount you pay reduces each year you you are better off on the free modem and activation offer whatever, if you leave within a year you just have to pay the full cost that you would have paid up front if you hadn't opted for the free modem and activation offer. For a while PN did do a scheme with a free modem - easystart i am on it, you pay a higher monthly subscription for the "free" modem and are locked into a twelve month contract as opposed to PN's standard 1 month contract however they do not sell this product anymore. I think that you will find any ISP's that give you a free modem and activation you will pay for it some how, weather through loyalty or a higher subsrciption.
N/A

A lesson for us all - I wonder how many of us sign up to things on a regular basis, without reading the T's and C's?