cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferred Hardware and Activation Charges???

N/A

Hi All,

Just enquired about leaving plusnet (getting usage capped to often), only to be told that I would have to pay £72 in deferred hardware and activation charges to leave?!

Is everyone else aware of these charges?

I never read (or was told) of them during signup (when everything was apparently 'free') - and apparently they only reduce by 20% every year you stay with plusnet - so even if I stay for 5 years I'd still have about £24 to pay to leave...

They also said that I had the option to use my own hardware, and to pay the activation fee upfront - but my modem was apparently free and I certainly wasnt offered the option to pay activation up front?

Please let me know your views...

Cheers,

Loseit
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Nothing is ever free. The offer had conditions, just like any other offer.

The T&C for the 'free' offer were clearly stated in a link on the sign-up page and also on the main website as well.
N/A

the terms and condtions of the "free" modem & activation are clearly stated during sign, but the fees your are to be charged are the cost of the modem and the charge plusnet pay bt to convert your line to adsl, these are free to you if you stay with plusnet for the specified time period, if yo choose to leave the isp before that time you have to pay the money plus net have forked out on your behalf.
N/A

It's been mentioned many times around here.

BTw charge PN about £50 to enable ADSL on a line, which PN depreciate rather slowly IMHO. On the positive side, once you have ADSL on your line there are many ISPs who will accept an inbound migration (via MAC code) for free.

Also the "free" USB modem turns out not to be so. Again PN depreciate it's cost over your contract period. Then as most "free" modems are worth about what you paid for them those in the know normal cough up the extra and buy a routing ethernet modem (from about £30 these days).

Can you say customer lock-in?
N/A

From the sounds of things the activation and the modem will never be 'free' - 20% off the remaining balance every year means it will never actually reach zero, although I suppose after 20 odd years it might be neglible enough for them to let you off with it...

As for the modem - I dont even use it, bout a wireless router a few weeks after connection so that £24 piece off Shhhhhhhht will most likely become another useless waste of space in my cupboard...

I did speak to plusnet before signup to check charges etc... but they obviously keep these under the hat... Had to pay for BT to conect the line (£90 odd) before getting connected aswell...

pity in the end - the guy who recommended them to me and 2 folk I've recommended also weren't aware of these charges either...

Can't see myself recommending them again, that for sure!
JonathanW
Grafter

As has been said, all of the details are presented to you during the signup process so that you have the option to read through them before you accept the deferred hardware and activation.

The way the fee is reduced is 20% of the initial fee, so the modem reduces by £5 a year and the activation reducdes by £9.40 a year.
N/A

may i ask why other isp absorb these costs in just 1 year that plusnet feel the need to insist on 5?

i does seem very excessive to ask someone to stay with you for 5 years bearing in mind the changes to the market on a whole
JonathanW
Grafter

We operate under a low cost business model and we charge the customer as little as possible. When you factor into the equation all of the other costs involved, it takes us a long time to recover the costs involved in activating a new ADSL line.
N/A

I used to be with Tiscali and paid nothing for the activation and got a free modem. I was with then for about 18 months before coming to plusnet when i left it cost me NOTHING i think plusnet are a RIP OFF.

TOSSERS
JonathanW
Grafter

If you're unhappy with the service that we provide, then you are more than welcome to raise a ticket and ask for your MAC Key following the standard cancelation proceedure.

At the end of the day, people have the option to take the deferred activation or they have the option to pay for the activation up front.
N/A

YES BUT AT A VERY HIGH COST

I don't know of any ISP who rip people off like PlusNet do...

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary and against the rules]
JonathanW
Grafter

The activation fee that we charge, £47 for an annual contract, is the fee that BTw charge us to have the line activated. No money is made from this as it is all paid directly to BTw.
N/A

Do you know of any other ISPs that charge this because i don't.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary and against the rules]
N/A

There are quite a few that do charge this fee if you leave within the contract period tbh.

If you look at the T&C's of most, it will stipulate this for new activations.
N/A

There are quite a few that do charge this fee if you leave within the contract period tbh.

I can understand it if you leave within the 12 month contract,but to drag it out for 5 years is a very long time...