cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Postmaster Address

N/A

This may be in the wrong forum, apologies, there isn't really an email-related one.

Anyway. My dad is currently using the email address "eurotrain4@eurotrain4.plus.com". This mailbox was setup by default when the account was activated - I didn't create it. So when a spammer spams "services@mydomain.com" it goes to his mailbox, which is something I'd rather avoid (having to explain to one's father why he's receiving certain *ahem* unsavoury emails is something I'd rather avoid).

I was told the reason he's getting the emails is because he's using the "postmaster" account, however it's not *called* postmaster, it's just "eurotrain4". When he logins in through webmail, or using OE, he uses just "eurotrain4" not "eurotrain4+eurotrain4" which suggests something's wrong.

In my mailbox listings, it has "eurotrain4 : default", so I can't add a mailbox "eurotrain4" because it says it's already in use.

Can anyone offer any advice as to how to solve this (temporarily, I have setup mail rules, but it's not a solution, more a work around)? Would creating a "postmaster" account solve this (then all the spam emails would just go into there?).

Cheers.
4 REPLIES
N/A

No.

First step I would sugest is to follow the thread john essex created last week.

The default address created at PlusNet is known as a catchall. This means anything valid placed before the @ sign will goto this mailbox.

The only address forced upon this account is your username@ address.

They call it a postmaster address, as anything not caught by the other mailboxes or forwards are destined for there, where the mailbox controler can deal with it. Postmaster in this sence is not the same as defined by the RFC on the issue.

Your best bet is to pick a secondry address, then use and define a specific mailbox for it. if he liked the eurotrain4@ address, then this is a problem, and a sugest somthing generic like inbox@, I.Surname@, somthing to identify the person or role.

Then define this as a new mailbox, and setup your client to use it.

There are cases where you may want another address pointing to the same mailbox, use a re-direct for this.

I would also sugest redirecting the address postmaster@ to this address (it is a requirment of your PlusNet contract to maintain and receive mail on this account).

While using the default address is pretty cool, and simple for setup of the username, it is a pain for spam due tot he way it catches all non-filtered mail/
N/A

Hmm, that is kind of a problem. He handed out the eurotrain4@ address to 500+ clients :?

I guess it's just something I have to live with then.
Lorian
Grafter

Hmm, that is kind of a problem. He handed out the eurotrain4@ address to 500+ clients :?

I guess it's just something I have to live with then.

this might help, it's free http://www.mailwasher.net/index.php

Jc.
N/A

Yeah, I use it for my machine. Problem is, he's abroad frequently, and uses someone elses terminal (so he uses webmail). So any software (including OE's mail rules won't work). That said, I have a plan whereby I leave OE open, deleting all emails sent to *@mydomain.com from the server, so that when he uses webmail, they aren't there, and when he checks his email, they're gona aswell. This isn't ideal, but it works, and I'm perfectly happy to continue using it.

Thanks for the helpful responses all Smiley