cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Gateway.... WHERE IS IT!

N/A

i have been recently informed by a friend using the E7 internet rpovider that he has changed his TCP ports so that his downloads etc... go faster and that his xbox live service is running with no lag (when it previously did lag). i use the xbox live service and i find it is fine, no lag what-so-ever unless someone is using the computer. i have recently tried myself to find my default gateway and type it into the internet explorer so i could see the specs and TCP ports etc....(which my frined had done) and when i found it, the space was blank. is this because i have a usb modem? (my friend is using an ethernet modem) is there any other way i can find out my TCP port numbers? and is there any other way i can find my default gateway?

yours hopefully
South2view
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Default Gateway, is your Router.

As you have a USB modem this setting should be blank.

Chilly
N/A

The Default Gateway

Hi,

The above statement is NOT correct I have a USB ADSL modem and I have a default gateway value. Its NOT just routers alone that require a DFG value.

Lets be quite clear about this, the dafault gateway is an an odinary IP address (no matter if your using a router or modem) and it is normally the WAN ( or public internet facing or outward facing side of your modem or router). If your using ADSL braodband with F9 more than likely you should have a fixed IP address starting 212.56.XXX.XXX, you would normaly use this IP as your default gate IP address. If your using an automatically assigned IP address from F9 i.e. from a D.H.C.P server then that would mean your modem or routers IP would change every time you rebooted it or power cycled the device.

**I'd highly recommend that you keep life simple as possible and get yourself a fixed IP address from F9 if you dont already have one.

**The default gateway can be manually set in your connection properties page, in connection properties see TCP/IP settings, highlight TCP/IP & again select properties of TCP/IP and now you will have a tabbed page called the general tab now you should see a field were you can write the DFG IP address in manually. NOTE: you can only access this if you have turned off (on the same page) DHCP or auto assign my IP settings. You will have to do a reboot for the setting to take effect.

**You can see if you DFG has been set correctly if you go to a command prompt and type in IPCONFIG /ALL (note the space between config and the forward slash ALL) this will show you all the TCP/IP settings for your connection including the DFGway value which should be the IP address you gave it if done correctly.

**The DFG is important on any network which is connected to the internet as all other computers on the network will look for the DFG as the point of access for web services such as email, FTP, and browsing etc. i.e all machines on the same LAN need to know where the DFG is.

Ivan Cool
Community Veteran

I have obviously been using a router for too long.

Chilly
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The default gateway will not always be the same. It is assigned automatically when you connect successfully to the internet.
N/A

Hi,

Just trying to help perhaps I wont bother making the effort next time!! I'm NOT a mind reader you know!! Huu!! some people.

Evil
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

All these bold type replies everywhere cyteck - bit of a bad hair day?
Wink
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
N/A

Ohh! like you've never had one yourself then?? theadamsons

:roll: