cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dazed and confused....

N/A

Dazed and confused....

I'll start this by saying as of two weeks ago I had a rock solid 2 meg connection for over a year, regularly returning results from the the +net speed test at 1800 - 1900kbs.

Now I've been (or am being - hard to tell as I wasn't notified) maxed.

Its been almost 2 weeks, my router syncs regularly at 5000kbs and my stable rate shows on the +net site at 4500kbs.

I've run +net speed tests throughout the day with these results:

22-06-2006 08:42:40 1893 (OK, getting old speeds pretty much).
22-06-2006 13:37:21 477.2 (Pardon? No wonder things seemed slow).
22-06-2006 17:20:37 473.5 (Whats going on?).
22-06-2006 19:30:26 437.8 (Your kidding me!).
22-06-2006 19:50:41 468.7 (I couldn't believe the last one, recheck).

What is going on? Anyone got any answers/ideas?

I never asked to be maxed, and I certainly didn't expect a huge drop in what I was previously getting. Any chance of being reverted back to my old 2 meg setting? Please? Pretty please?

Edit: 22-06-2006 20:22

Now this is weird! Just rechecked my stable rate and after posting this message, its dropped to 2000! I hope some good support person hasn't manually altered the rate (cos I haven't experienced any disconnect since posting this). My beef is not that I am unhappy with the stable rate, its the throughput being so far below what the stable rate is, and the way that it tails off throughout the day.

Shaun
6 REPLIES
N/A

Dazed and confused....

welcome to the world of maxDSL and there doesn't seem that theres anything can be done. I've a stable rate of 6000kbps, although my router always syncs at 8124kbps, and my download speeds fluctuate between 400kbps - 2500kbps. Was "maxed" 2 weeks ago.
N/A

Dazed and confused....

Thank you for responding Paul. It seems like we can only sit and stew then, and hope BT finally gets it act together and sorts out the ridiculous difference between what was promised as opposed to delivered.

Are BT responsible for delivering a minimum service level below which they will investigate the problem I wonder? Anyone have experience/knowledge of this?

Shaun
ID
Grafter

Dazed and confused....

use a proper checker at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
this downloads about 17MB on my connection which gives a greater accuracy
N/A

Dazed and confused....

Yes, have tried this test and the results seem to agree with the +NET one. Most recent result running it was:

downstream 472.0 Kbps
upstream 375.8 Kbps

Also my stable rate has now dropped to 500Kbps :roll:

When you have become used to having a rock solid 2 meg connection on exactly the same kit for over a year (pre being maxed), this level of service really does suck big time Evil

Maxed? Hah! Should call it "ADSL fubar'd unless your really lucky" I reckon. Might suggest that to BT wholesale :twisted:

Shaun
ID
Grafter

Dazed and confused....

Damn Sad at least you know the figure is pretty accurate for +net to carry out tests
what line stats are you seeing? (via router / modem)
N/A

Dazed and confused....

Router reports connection as:

Upstream Speed: 448 kbps
Downstream Speed: 5440 kbps

Node-Link Status TxPkts RxPkts Errors Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
1-PPPoA Up 4882 5399 0 0 0 1:08:24

Line Stats as of 19:03

noise margin downstream: 6 db
output power upstream: 12 db
attenuation downstream: 37 db

I have now connected to the engineer faceplate (which boosted the power upstream figure by 1db only - every other figure stayed static).

Shaun