Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily email of website logs

Mark_Dowd
Grafter

Hi.

Website logs are cycled every day, with current plus previous six days held in the logs directory. If I cannot connect for more than a week, I will have gaps in any continuous log file I process at home.

When the previous day's log file is placed in the directory, can it be emailed to an address specified by me?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Yes and no.

Yes, you can do this yourself, by running a cronjob from the likes of the CGI servers.

No, not by PlusNet themselves. As you have seen, they scaling parts of the webstats, all because the icnreased load on there servers is delaying things.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yes, you can do this yourself, by running a cronjob from the likes of the CGI servers.

Perhaps a script to do that should be added to the Usertools site. However, what about people without cgi?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

People with accounts that don't have CGI also don't have webstats. Smiley

Thomas
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

Perhaps a script to do that should be added to the Usertools site.
Sounds good to me. Who, when and how?
csogilvie
Grafter

Out of interest, how do you process the files at home ?
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

I'm not sure yet. I've only recently started to use the website in earnest, and I hadn't thought that far ahead.

I occasionally "play with" C and Delphi, and may consider a DIY approach, unless someone can suggest a cheap (i.e. free) shrink wrapped solution for XP.
csogilvie
Grafter

You could always use Awstats and set it up on the CGI Server - there are complete instructions in the Tutorials and FAQs forum.
Community Veteran

Or use the webalizer alternative, also detailed in the tutorials forum. Full details and scripts for copying and processing the webstats are included (for both awstats and webalizer) and links to what both look like.

As for getting the stats from your webspace, you could setup a ftp script to copy them daily and run it from task Task Manager. Note, the webstats don't always get delivered at the same time so you may need to run your ftp scripts several times a day to make sure you get it.

FYI: there is an existing idea already raised for this: see [Idea 2642] Script for emailing daily webstats. It contains a shell script I wrote which you can run on the cgi server which will email a webstats file to you.