cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLMax regrade has destoyed our service

N/A

Hi, Im administrating for a company that has had its connection upgraded from the 2meg to the 8meg ADSLmax. And its been a total distaster.

The speeds initally went down from a good 2meg speed to 200kb/s - 500kb/s, this has now improved to around 4meg speeds.

However we still have massive problems with the internet uptime if the ADSL links hasn't dropped the data link drops.

As you can imagine this is a massive problem for a business trying to do some work. Force 9 customer support via phone is non existant and the email help is can be a bit vague.

We are paying 70+ quid a month for a connection that is becoming useless and we are now nearly completly decided on leaving force 9 as the service is completly unfit for purpose.
17 REPLIES
astarsolutions
Grafter

Are you still within the 10 day line test period after the MaxDSL upgrade?

We are paying 70+ quid a month

Out of curiosity what non SDSL package costs this much, I am on there top package and that's only £41
N/A

Hi

It's the 2MB office product that appears to have been discontinued in the headlong rush to Max. A while ago it was good value compared to other ISPs. The upgrade to 8MB was attractive, of course, and ultimately will be cheaper. But.. Yes, it was around 14 days ago, and that's when the trouble started. Since that day speeds have dropped to 400kbs, although connection was constant. Since this afternoon, speed has improved back to 1.8M or so, but the connection is now intermittent. Cuts out every 10 mins. After nearly an hour this evening queuing for tech support, it is the subject of a fault report. If it doesn't get fixed soon we will have to find an alternative.

Cheers
astarsolutions
Grafter

Remember problems with the line and especially thoes associated with the upgrade are down to BT not F9 so you will have experienced the same wherever you were and wherever you go
N/A

Well you can see our frustration, spending a good part of the day checking network data to see if maybe there was a virus on the network, checking the routers, the servers and getting irate calls from the management about a service that was essentially stopping the business for being able to function properly, on top of two weeks of connection and speed issues when 2 weeks ago the service was fine.

After waiting for the best part of an hour was finally able to get though to CS and we now have a possible two day wait for the issue to hopefully be resolved. So either we wait and carry out a limited amount of business which isn't an option so instead we are going to have to lose a couple telephone lines to hook up an emergency ISDN connection so at least there's a stable albeit slow connection so that work can be done.

You can see how this would cause grief
astarsolutions
Grafter

I know how you feel; I have 2 ADSL lines and thankfully the occasional problems that have occured have only happend to one connection at a time.
This leaves some internet connectivity for some services at least and a way to raise a suport ticket or to check the service status.
ed
Grafter

I had a zero speed service!

The upgrade killed my routers phone interface I had to fork out for a new router to get my 2mbps back!

I found out that it was due to having the router switched on while the exchange upgrade took place!

Well noone told me to turn it off! I didn't even know it was gona be upgraded until my line went dead!

By the way I now have an old 2Mbps service with the new 8Gb max Fair use Limits and I'm still using about 2x the 15gb so called limit!!! All i do is play quake and surf the net! Its too small!
N/A

Arthur

This is interesting what you say. In your earlier post you thought that the problems would be BT/exchange related and would have same effect regardless of ISP.

Your two ADSLs are presumably linked to the same exchange, yet your experience is that when one goes down, the other has stayed up. Are both your services provided by F9, or is one from a different ISP?

As Rohan said, the speed drop over the last 2 weeks has been irritating, but todays constant dropped connection is much worse as regards providing a service to clients.

Malcolm
N/A

Hi Thomassoft

Which router were you using, and how did you establish that the upgrade blew the router out?

Malcolm
astarsolutions
Grafter

I found out that it was due to having the router switched on while the exchange upgrade took place!

You didn't need to turn anything off during the upgrade; it was probably something completely unrelated and was just coincidence it happened then.
N/A

Hi Arthur,

What your saying about BT and how they handle all ISP customer faults ISNT strictly true. You forgot one thing, BT's own ISP customers (i.e. BTOpenworld & BTYahoo customers) definately DO GET priority for faults over every other ISP customers. F9 PlusNet dont get fixed as quickly as others. I have seen this time and time again since broadband became available here in the UK.

I have a friend who lives in goole east yorkshire & he is a BT ISP customer and when he had problems they got fixed incredibly quickly sometimes next day or within 2 days anyway. NOT your average 7-10 working days like the rest of us non BT customers.

**NOTE: even if you are a BT customer (like myself) for your phone line that doesnt count when it comes to broadband. Its your ISP that has to also be BT to get this higher priority it would seem. Which is infurating to say the least.

Ivan
N/A

but this will change as BT don't own the phone lines anymore. The company that owns the phone lines is BT openreach http://www.openreach.co.uk. They manage the actual lines now. So in theory same priority should be to everyone? But in practice? However I think openreach just do the copper lines, not sure if they do the wholesale equipment bit in the exchanges so in affect Bt wholesale probably do still give priority to BT broadband.
N/A

The good news is that this line seems to have stabilised. We went through a 2-day period when the connection was dropping and re-connecting every few minutes. That has stopped. Immediately after the upgrade, the router reported 8Mb rating (although actual speed was around 300-500k). Now, interestingly, the router reports a 6Mb line and actual speeds are around 2-3Mb. Is this all part of the 'settling in' process? What is really going on here? Have BT downgraded the connection because of instability at 8Mb, now they are running it at 6Mb to see it that works better? All seems a bit hit and miss to me. Would be good if a techie at F9 could explain this to us.

Malcolm
N/A

I would leave it to settle for a bit. The modem syncing at 6Meg now is quite good. Perhaps this is your stable speed? So it tried 8M and this kept disconnecting so the system automatically turned it down a bit. If 6M remains stable over the next few days then you'll probably end up with that speed I suppose.

If the actual speeds are 2-3M (is this on the f9 speed test?) it could be that it takes a while for the connection from bt wholesale to f9 to sort is self out to the line speed. Or it could just be that due to the contention/traffic management at f9 2-3M is all you can really get anyway at the time of test? Remember that the traffic from BT wholesale to f9 and from f9 to the internet is still a finite resource and a managed network. Although the bt to f9 bit works in a different way I think, the old IP stream was 30:1 contention through the exchange (for home users there were better levels for business) but now who knows, people have said there is no contention. Well there must at least be some contention as the pipe to f9 isn't infinitely wide.

Lots of other people report simmilar experiences. Faster line speeds, but still only 2-3M actual speed.

I think at the beginning there was a thing where the actual speed lagged behind the line speed for a few days after the maxDSL upgrade. I read about this somewhere.

The line speed bit I understand. How the pppoATM bit to f9 changes to the right speed I have no idea how that will work. In the past f9 had to change settings there side to reflect your line speed after an upgrade I think?? Now the process is automatic.

I would leave it the quoted 10days. But don't listen to me as I've not had my maxDSL upgrade yet. It looks like my exchange will get tisacli llu soon so I may be lucky or unlucky enough to get put on this and this I suppose could mean f9 won't do my maxdsl upgrade with bt if they are about to pass us all on to tiscali. I've not been anything told either way.

Not sure how I feel about tiscali LLU. If f9 make it cheaper for me that would be good. If they give LLU customers more usage allowance that won't make a lot of difference to me as I don't need any more at all. The faster upload speeds of ADSL2 would be nice, but that won't come for a long time and it will cost more.
N/A

I would leave it the quoted 10days.

Nothing magic happens after 10 days.... I'm currently on day 12 and I'm still stuck on a 2mb BRAS speed profile despite having a perfect stable 8128 sync speed every time I connect. f9 are refusing to take it seriously and are not escalating it to BT as a problem.