cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL?

N/A

DSL?

I hear there's a new product being offered by Plusnet but, I can't find any information on it. Apparently it's called DSL and it comes in at £14.99 per month. Does anybody know about this?
Steeve.
11 REPLIES
N/A

DSL?

It's know as DSL Connect. Details of it can be found here. PlusNet start offering this from tomorrow.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

DSL?

Hi,

The account you are referring to is the new DSL Connect account.
Take a look at the page above, there are also a couple of threads on here about the account and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
N/A

DSL?

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm confused now, it appears to say I can use my existing modem. "YOUR CONNECTION
150 kbps Connectivity at 50:1 Contention [more]
Support for v.90, Standard modems and ISDN up to 64k "
I would have thought a different type of modem would be needed.
Steeve.
N/A

DSL?

You do need a ADSL modem, yes.

This new form of ADSL is technicaly not broadband, due to the lower speed offering.

The v.90 and ISDN information it states there, relates to the backup dialup account you are provided with, should you need emergancy access whilst your connection is down for any reason (this is charged on a PAYG basis though)

However, the actual higher speed portion needs a modem designed for ADSL.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

DSL?

Support for v.90, Standard modems and ISDN up to 64k

This is referring to the backup 0845 number on the account, you would need an ADSL modem to be able to use the DSL Connect service. If you choose you can purchase one from ourselves during the registration process.
Community Veteran

DSL?

Yes very confusing isn't it.
It has to be a different modem since it says that you can use the service and still make phone calle which would not be possible with a 56k modem.
I just wish that PlusNet would get its act together when it comes to giving product info.
N/A

DSL?

I agree, it's not very clear. I'd like to read about this product, on it's own without the information being mixed in with information about other products.
There appears to be two options,
1. With a modem supplied. ( Either PCI or USB)
2. Without a modem supplied.
I'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons.
Steeve.
N/A

DSL?

Yes very confusing isn't it.<snip>

I just had a quick look see and saw in the item on ADSL Contention Ratios -

"This means that for a home user with a USB modem, the BT connection at the exchange is shared with another 50 users."

Fortunately I've got a pci modem so I must be on 1 to 1 then Wink

If I could turn back the clock I'd buy my own modem/router Steeve and personally speaking I'd steer clear of usb ( spawn of the evil one )...
Community Veteran

DSL?

There appears to be two options,
1. With a modem supplied.
2. Without a modem supplied.
I'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons.
Steeve.

Theres more than that. There are 3 options

1. Buy your own Modem
2 .Have a USB one supplied
3. Have a PCI one supplied.

I suppose that it would all boil down to you being able to source a modem cheaper than the supplied one.
But whatever you decide I would tend to avoid the USB modem option as they can (not always) cause dreadfull problems with disconnections. Mainly due to power supply issues.
N/A

DSL?

Just noticed this;
A postage and packaging fee of £9.95 (£11.69 inc. VAT) applies to all orders which include an ADSL Modem or Router.
Also, I did a search for an internal PCI ADSL modem, it took about two mins. I quickly found them readily available for £24.50 (less if I spent some time looking) with FREE postage.
Steeve
Community Veteran

DSL?

That's it then dicision made Cheesy