cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL connect product

N/A

DSL connect product

Damn, how is that offering so low?

Have BT produced a new IPStream product or somthing, because that seems under the price of the wholesale cost of 512 (when throttled).
9 REPLIES
N/A

DSL connect product

The Tiscali product is a 12 month contract, but only costs £25 for activation and equipment. I have low user relatives (whose pc's I built & maintain), using dial up, who have been asking about the Tiscali product. Obviously I have been telling them they can't have it! .... but would be happy to put them with PN on a similar basis.
The set up costs are high for a 'trial' product. What are the migration/upgrade options, if the product fails or due to user choice?
Ianwild
Grafter

DSL connect product

Hi,

This is a Datastream product, effectively delivered using the same mechanism as Tiscali deliver their product. The setup fees are not subsidised at the moment and we don't have any plans to do this during the trial period.

Migrating from Datastream to a faster IPStream product is currently something of a pain, in that there is some downtime and a new activation fee is required, however BT do intend to release a method of simplyfying this process and removing the downtime in the near future. Again, this is something we will be looking into as part of the trial.

Regards,
N/A

DSL connect product

Nice.

Datastream you say?

Are you performing the handover yourselves, or are you obtaining this wholesale from an alternate supplier than BT this time?
Community Veteran

DSL connect product

Whats the refferal value is it zilch as with all new products?

Chris
Ianwild
Grafter

DSL connect product

At the moment, in the trial phase, the product doesn't have a referral value. We are trying to keep this a little low key as we have no way of knowing how well it will work. It is certainly a better alternative than the other equivelant products on the market anyway...
N/A

DSL connect product

Looks OK except for one thing - only 25MB webspace.

At present, because of being mostly away from home and having the use of someone else's broadband account, I am not using PlusNet much - I downgraded to a £4.99 (0845) account, which keeps the website where it is and gives me 250MB, which is plenty. Even if I learn to type at more than my usual four words per fortnight, I'm unlikely to need the 500MB which I had on my Connect Biz Lite account.

In May next year I expect to return to some form of unmetered with PlusNet, with ADSL being under consideration, and I don't need really fantastic speed, I'm not into P2P, nor downloading movies etc., etc. - as a connection, this would be fine.

But if I have to keep the £4.99 account open too in order to keep a decent amount of webspace, it's not a realistic cost option, is it? I'm afraid I'd cross it off the list straight away, as at £19.98 I may as well go the whole hog and pick a 512k service even though I don't need it.
Lorian
Grafter

DSL connect product

At the moment, in the trial phase, the product doesn't have a referral value. We are trying to keep this a little low key as we have no way of knowing how well it will work. It is certainly a better alternative than the other equivelant products on the market anyway...

Do let us know when it has a referral value. I have a dozen or more I could recommend, but not for nothing I'm afraid.

Jc.
Ianwild
Grafter

DSL connect product

Hi Guys,

Just to confirm, due to the nature of this product and the low profit margins involved, the spec is built on a Free account and there is no Referral value, much in the same vein as Home Surf. Obviously for a few Quid more you can move to ADSL Home or Easystart, which do include all of the premium features as available on our Unmetered products.

It's not ideal we know, but when it comes to the crunch, choices and compromises have to be made to ensure the sustainability of the product.

Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

DSL connect product

I think the main point that is of interest to existing users is refferals. without refferals people aren't going to recommend the DSL connect or Easystart accounts.

Chris