cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL Max - will I need a router?

N/A

So the green lights are illuminating at exchanges across the land and DSLMax is just a few weeks away (they tell us). I think I saw a post here a little while back that suggested in order to obtain the new >2Mbps speeds a router would be required as an ADSL modem wouldn't be up to the job.

Is this the case? Will I have to replace my Speedtouch 330 frog in order to get the much higher speeds my line stats suggest are possible?

Thanks for any advice.
3 REPLIES
N/A

hi take a look at this link http://www.speedtouch.com/prod330.htm

by the look of it you should be ok
N/A

Excellent - thank you very much!
Community Veteran

It's not just the modem you have to look at but also the USB port. If you are using USB 1.1 it has a max speed of 12Mbs but in reality it is very much less than this and may actually be lower that the 7Mbs the high speed ADSL line could sync at. USB 2.0 ports can handle much faster speeds but it does impact of the overall performance of your ystem and if your processor can't cope or the modems USB drivers are not rebust enough you will have reliability problems. Also the USB chipset/mobo may not cope if the modem has to draw more current to handle the higher speeds. I know several USB modems that while the chipset could cope with > 1Mbs speeds, the USB drivers were never really tested properly at the higher speeds and thus failed. The BT voyager 105 is such a device and you need to install a patch to allow it to work at speeds > 2Mbs.

My recomendation is always to use a router instead connected to a Ethetnet/NIC port rather than a USB modem as they tend to be much more reliable and can cope with speeds > 8Mbs (i.e. ADSL2+) and can often sync on lower quality lines. The netgear DG834 is one such device I would recommend/