cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL Attenuation

N/A

DSL Attenuation

My router is telling me that the attenuation US and DS on my phone line is 51 and 56. These need to be in the 20's for an optimum broadband connection.

I have informed BT of the problem. How serious a fault is this and how long could it take to fix?
4 REPLIES
James
Grafter

DSL Attenuation

I think you're confusing yourself. The attenuation will be higher depending on how far away you are from the exchange. If you have a high attenuation, it will mean that you are a long way from the exchange.

You would generally see a DS attenuation if you are within a mile of the exchange.
N/A

DSL Attenuation

I am not sure what you mean by the exchange put the green box the BT guys go to is accross the street.

I haven't been able to get on any websites for a week now, and I have responcibilities online on various websites, it is highly inconvienient. There is no known fault on PlusNet's end, and the connections in my house are all tested and fine, with a new router and new filter plugged directly into the jack.

The manufacturers of my router whom I asked said the attenuation was too high, too much noise on the line.

My phone company will be back to me in the next day or so, but if it isn't fixed then I will be most displeased.
N/A

DSL Attenuation

The exchange is the BT Building not the little green box. Generally they are near the town centre.
James
Grafter

DSL Attenuation

The exchange is the place where the wiring from your green box goes. It's where BT have all the ADSL equipment that your modem gets a signal from.

I don't think it will have anything to do with your phone company - telephone calls are all ok right? It may well be a fault with BT Wholesale (not Retail).

What are the lights on your router doing?