cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS + website, am I missing a trick?

N/A

I've raised a ticket for this, but no reply as yet, so wondered if someone else might have across this before.

I've just signed up for some hosting which someone on here recommended, as Plusnet's CGI servers have become a complete joke. Went into the Member Centre and changed my hosting option from "host under this folder" to "use DNS settings" (or however they're phrased) and specified A records for www.tanima.co.uk and tanima.co.uk.

Three days later, a query on ns1.force9.net for www.tanima.co.uk still points to homepages.plus.net - why?

I've also got two MX records specified for my email, but PlusNet seem to be ignoring one of them, and instead adding their own two, which I haven't asked for - as a result I'm getting oodles of spam which is avoiding my filters.

At this rate, I'll have to change DNS servers as well as web hosting, by which time, what value-added extras from PlusNet am I actually still using?
10 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

There's a couple of things that you need to change because of the way our Domain Control System works.

First the www.domain record should be a CNAME rather than an A record, once updated the Zonefile will update in about 4 hours.

For the mail, you need to set the mail to either SMTP or other via the domain name control panel, this will then remove the mx.core record from the list (although mx.last will remain).
N/A

Thanks, I'll switch the A's for CNAME's and see if that sorts things.

I'l probably just leave the MX as they are - the way these spammers are going, they seem to go for the highest numbered MX first anyway in the hope - successfully in this case - of bypassing any filters.

Cheers,
Matthew.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The domain.co.uk. record should be an A record though.
N/A

The domain.co.uk. record should be an A record though.

Oh, ta... I'll change that back then :-)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I can't remember the reasons for it but that's the way the DCS works, give me a shout if it hasn't worked.
N/A

*bump* still not working... any ideas?
N/A

*bump* still not working... any ideas?

dunno if this will help, but you need to have a full stop at the end of your domain.

IE something.co.uk.

a dot at the end,

I got stung with this, and ended up waiting 7 days for one of the call agents to find out what the error was!
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I've updated your ticket with some more info.
N/A

dunno if this will help, but you need to have a full stop at the end of your domain.

Nope, they're already specified as FQDNs, but thanks anyway.
N/A

Thanks Ben, will wait and see what happens.

Would be useful to know what you changed (can't see anything obvious) as I'll probably be repeating this procedure with my other domain once everything is working successfully with this one.

Cheers,
Matthew.