Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS problems again??

softdivision
Grafter

DNS problems again??

"Server not found"

"Firefox can't find the server at www.google.co.uk"

Wouldn't a good time to reboot your DNS servers be outside of core hours?

Patience = veneer thin.
17 REPLIES
Dean
Grafter

DNS problems again??

No known issues re: DNS here and the graphs look fine. Someone (Simon or I) will post the graph today (which shows DNS lookup for www.google.co.uk and a few other sites - compared against OpenDNS etc.)

This graphing is the first set of data which will be incorporated into the real-time stats solution were going to put on the portal so all of you guys can see pretty much the same stuff as the network guys across the entire platform.

Hope this helps

Dean
mrsimonday
Grafter

DNS problems again??

Afternoon, here is the graph that Dean referred to. It shows how our caching DNS servers compare in loads times to OpenDNS'.

http://www.commsteam.plus.com/images/dns_response.jpg

[Moderators note by csogilvie: Image changed to be a link as it was stretching the forums]
csogilvie
Grafter

DNS problems again??

Errr, for the uninitiated, why are the IPs not relating to the servers we get?

mrsimonday
Grafter

DNS problems again??

Errr, for the uninitiated, why are the IPs not relating to the servers we get?

The IPs on the graphs are the real IPs of the boxes that we connect to. What customers see is the Anycast addresses that the DNS listens on.
Community Veteran

DNS problems again??

I was getting web site timeouts this morning and again this evening. Also this evening I'm getting dropped connections where my connection is usually rock solid.

Something must be wrong somewhere.

Bob
N/A

DNS problems again??

Likewise www.google.com is fine, co.uk times out....
James
Grafter

DNS problems again??

Hi Guys,

I've asked Networks to have a look into this and see if they can find anything amiss.
James
Grafter

DNS problems again??

Hi Guys,

I've heard back from mrsimonday in Networks and he's asked that you supply specific times of the time outs, the error messages that you are receiving and the specific sites.

They aren't seeing any obvious problems currently.
sophos9
Grafter

DNS problems again??

Would be better to run a nslookup with an alternative DNS server to see if the issue is related to PN systems.

If you dont want to do it in DOS, you can always try this website...
pacem
Grafter

DNS problems again??

Those graphs to me, show that when people say "openDNS is faster", they are just spouting from openDNS's own website and haven't properly tested the service.

Those test certainly concur with my own limited tests.

I wonder if anyone will come out now to defend them...

Paul.<><
Community Veteran

DNS problems again??

Hi Paul

I used opendns for a while when PN's DNS were having lots of problems.

Since then I decided to try the PN DNS again, following service announcement that they were fixed.

I found the PN servers seemed to resolve quicker, so did a little comparison testing and found that the PN servers did indeed resolve noticably faster.

I have compromised since then and used one of the PN DNS for my primary and one of the Opendns servers for my secondary.

Not had any probs since.
N/A

DNS problems again??

This sounds just like the problems I am having now but Plusnet are refusing to acknowledge/answer/respond to. Ticket still awaiting a response after 3 days. Disgusting.
mrsimonday
Grafter

DNS problems again??

I've had a look at your ticket and answered it. There appears to be no problem with the sites you list as being unaccessible, at least not currently.
sophos9
Grafter

DNS problems again??

This sounds just like the problems I am having now but Plusnet are refusing to acknowledge/answer/respond to. Ticket still awaiting a response after 3 days. Disgusting.

Sorry about your ticket reply speed. This problem is not PN's as per the other thread...