cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS problem?

N/A

DNS problem?

Hi all,

I seem to be having a rather odd problem. Since the authentication problems last night, I can still connect but over half of the websites I try to visit just time out. In addition to this, MSN Messenger will not connect, and the hotmail, live and msn websites all time out as well. I know it's not a service-wide problem as a friend on PlusNet is having none of these problems.

I have tried reconnecting, rebooting and reseting defaults and entering settings again on my router, all to no avail.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem? Oh, it's also occuring network-wide on my LAN (2 PCs and a laptop), so I know it's not just one machine. Nothing to do with the firewall or IP filters on the router either as I have tried disabling both.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
8 REPLIES
passer
Grafter

DNS problem?

What DNS servers are you using? Have you tried doing an IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
in case you have any rubbish lodged in there?
N/A

DNS problem?

I seem to have fixed it. Strangely, the MTU was set to 1400 bytes, and having now changed it back to 1482 like it usually is, everything works!

Case closed Cheesy
N/A

DNS problem?

Right, now the problem has reoccurred, but this time it's affecting only my laptop and one PC. The PC I use most often myself works fine on MSN, Hotmail website, Live.com website and so on, but these are still 'down' on the other two machines that family members use.

I have tried ipconfig /flushdns on both machines and that hasn't worked. Any other ideas?
N/A

DNS problem?

How do they share your internet connection, is it NAT or ICS ? If it's NAT, and they all use the same DNS, then a simple reboot should cure them. I've no idea how ICS works with regards to DNS.
N/A

DNS problem?

It's NAT, but I've tried rebooting to no avail. My PC I am on now connects fine to MSN Messenger and can access the Hotmail website etc., but the other PCs can't, yet they can access random sites.
N/A

DNS problem?

Any ideas? I still can't think of anything myself.

Tried rebooting the router, flushing DNS on each machine, re-creating the connection on the router and so on, all to no avail.

Strange how I have full access on this machine yet the other two cannot use MSN or access the MSN/Live websites and a few others.
N/A

DNS problem?

Are the hosts to which you are attempting to connect resolving?

If you don't know what this means, just try this from an open command prompt.

nslookup www.microsoft.com

or whatever the host is.

If you get back some IPs then you are resolving, if you get back time outs or nothing, you have a DNS problem.

Compare your results to the working machines. If the results differ you are either using different DNS servers on each, or you may have had your hosts file hijacked by a virus/worm etc.
N/A

DNS problem?

Thanks Saben.

I found out the problem after doing a little more searching, and it turns out that my MTU settings were mismatched. On the two machines which weren't resolving, the MTU was set at 'default', while my router and this PC were set to 1482. After playing around a little, I found that setting all to 1458 has worked perfectly.