cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS ip confirmation

N/A

DNS ip confirmation

Hi fellow community supports,

Could anyone tell me whether it's possilbe to find out what your current IP address is from Plus net services / support? My connection is not a static IP and so when ever my router disconnects (for a number of reasons) I'm not able to find out from a remote PC what my home IP address is as I can't connect to it.

I do currently use a free DNS service and IP updater program on my home PC so that when the IP address changes, the DNS service redirects me however this obviously doesn't help me when the router re-connects and my PC is hybernated / switched off. I don't want to leave my PC on all the time - I'd rather have it hybernated.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Rod
10 REPLIES
MarkC
Grafter

DNS ip confirmation

Does your router support Dynamic DNS updates - Draytek Vigors do - you tell it how to log in to your free dns service (supports no-ip and 5 others) and it does it automatically when the ip changes.

Mark
N/A

DNS ip confirmation

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it does unles I haven't found that page yet. It's a 3com office connect modem firewall wireless router thing (3CRWE754G72-A)

Perhaps someone's written a anlternate bit of firmware for this? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Rod
N/A

DNS ip confirmation

Hi everyone,

Just wondering whether anyone has any other suggestions?

Hope someone can help with my query.

Thanks

Rod
N/A

DNS ip confirmation

try ping rodandjax.plus.com from a command prompt when your router is connected.

It may not give you ping results but you should see the IP address.
MarkC
Grafter

DNS ip confirmation

Rod,

i just googled '3CRWE754G72-A ddns' and 1 of the pages was

http://notepadplus.blogspot.com/2005/12/3com-3crwe754g72-and-dynamic-dns.html

see if that helps.

Mark
N/A

DNS ip confirmation

Thanks guys. The google page gives me a good start to run the ddns - I didn't know my router could! Great! However, if my router still looses dns sync with dyndns server (for example), I'd still like to know if there is a way to find what the connection IP address is., hence Sherbrooke's reply - I thought that was the answer but unfortunately not...

[Sherbrooke]...I tried the ping rodandjax.plus.com but it came up with unknown host. However www.rodandjax.plus.com redirected to webpages.plus.net ( where the ip is not my current IP connection to home):-
-----------------------------------------
C:\>ping www.rodandjax.plus.com

Pinging homepages.plus.net [212.159.9.131] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 212.159.9.131:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>ping rodandjax.plus.com
Unknown host rodandjax.plus.com.

------------------------------

Anyone have any more ideas?

Thanks to everyone so far for all you advice

Rod
N/A

DNS ip confirmation

alternatively use http://www.whatsmyip.org/
N/A

DNS ip confirmation

C:\>ping rodandjax.plus.com
Unknown host rodandjax.plus.com.

Hmm, yes, I got the same when I tried it, sorry, perhaps that only works with static IPs
N/A

DNS ip confirmation

alternatively use http://www.whatsmyip.org/

This would only work when using a PC at home, I think Rod is trying to find out the allocated IP from a remote location and the only way I think you can do this is to ping the DNS name or do a DNS lookup - but you need to know the DNS name PN have assigned.
N/A

DNS ip confirmation

Yep that's write Sherbrooke (Cary). You've hit the nail on the head. It's about finding the assigned IP that plus.net give me. It's sort of not having to rely on the DNS server (dyndns.com for example) being correct which it may not if it hasn't been updated.

Thanks for the replies in advance

Rod