DNS and Domains

Marteknet
Grafter

DNS and Domains

I got an email from force9 services saying
Service: Internet Connectivity
Posted: Fri, Aug 05 2005 at 10:10:32
Subject: DNS Problems - UPDATE

Following the earlier announcement, we have isolated the cause of the DNS problems affecting two of our core domains. We are currently working towards a permanent fix.

A temporary fix has been put in place that will alleviate the majority of the issues caused as a result of this problem.

Customers using Windows machines may still be seeing the symptoms of this problem due to cached information on their system. To resolve this, we advise anyone experiencing problems to flush their DNS resolver cache and reboot their machines and equipment.

The following can be run from a command line interface (In Windows 2K/XP, click Start > Run, Type 'cmd' and click OK) to achieve this:-

ipconfig /flushdns

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused, and will provide further details as they are made available.

That's all well and good for the Force9 customer, But what about returning visitors to missing web sites, how will they know this and even if they did why should they have to go to this length just to view a web site.

How long is permanent fix likely to take?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Not working

The pages on all my sites are still not appearing, even after running the fix indicated
Marteknet
Grafter

DNS and Domains

ok try this it worked for me, but how to get returning viewers to any affected sites is another question.

do the fix as posted by F9.
delete your temp internet folder contents.
power-down your system completely. (mains off)
reboot, and try to view your site.

This will only work for you, any visitors who haven't been able to view your sites will find this is the case till the permanent fix is in place.

hope this helps.

Peter
N/A

DNS and Domains

Hi, i phoned customer support last night regarding this issue, and told me to do ipflash and change MPR settings)

however this morning i can still not access my webspace hosted on 1&1.co.uk, including all domains linked to this account, and webspace.

All other website are fine.

i can however see it on another computer using a different internet connection, plus the same computer on a different connection.

Everyone else seems to be able to view the website, including support at f9.

I have completed a software update on the router, ip flush, and temp internet files have been deleted.

This is happening for longer periods of times when this accours, for the last 6 months at least, (sometimes it might last 10 mins where i cannot gain access, however this weekend, its been from friday night)

Any ideas to what is causing this?

Thanks Jeremy
Ben_Brown
Grafter

DNS and Domains

What is the address of this website? what IP address do you get when you type "nslookup [address]" at a command prompt? e.g. nslookup www.bbc.co.uk
N/A

DNS and Domains

What is the address of this website? what IP address do you get when you type "nslookup [address]" at a command prompt? e.g. nslookup www.bbc.co.uk

Hi, it working again now, however this will happen again, no doubt about it.

Jeremy