cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issue

N/A

DNS Issue

I've had an intermittant problem now for around six months. I've not posted before as I can't exactly pin it down.

I'm on 2Mb BB Premier with a Linksys WAG54G shared between 4 computers.

At random intervals (sometimes at a 5 mintute intervals, sometimes days) I loose DNS connectivity. By this I mean if I'm playing a game on the internet (i.e already connected to a specific IP) I can carry on playing and all is fine. If however I want to browse web sites, my browser just times out.

The only way to fix this seems to be to go into my Router Status screen and disconnect and then reconnect my PPP login - this fixes the problem every time.

I wasn't sure if this was a PlusNet issue or if I have a dodgey router - I have an Alcaltel frog that I could connect to my PC via USB for testing (though it may annoy the kids loosing 'net access as I can't be bothered setting up internet connetion sharing!) As the problem seems to intermittant, I may have to use the frog for a while!

Does anybody have any suggestions for things that I could try?
5 REPLIES
N/A

DNS Issue

Hi there,

You could try manually assigning the Plus Net DNS servers to your router.

The servers are

You can use any or all of these depending on what your router asks for.

Hope that helps.
shellsong
Grafter

DNS Issue

I have experienced a similar intermittent problem for quite a while and although DNS servers are automatically detected the logs show its always one or other of the PN pairs that are connected. There was some sort of hiatus at about 6:30 AM today that caused connection to be lost, then when the router tried to reconnect the password was denied 4 or 5 times followed by the connection apparently being reestablished but when I tried using it for web access there was no joy-- synch but no resolving of addresses!
The strange thing is that when this happens the router usually passes its diagnostics which includes:
Ping default gateway 195.166.128.72 PASS HELP
Ping primary DNS 212.159.6.10 PASS HELP (this being the primary DNS last set up by the router)
Query DNS for www.zoom.com PASS HELP
Ping www.zoom.com PASS HELP
:?
N/A

DNS Issue

There was some sort of hiatus at about 6:30 AM today that caused connection to be lost, then when the router tried to reconnect the password was denied 4 or 5 times followed by the connection apparently being reestablished

This mornings disconnect may have been down to some published work which Plus Net were doing during the early hours Service Status

But it may be worth trying to manually assign the DNS servers as above to see if it cures the problem.
N/A

DNS Issue

Snap! I had identical problems when i had a WAG54G. What i found was the clock would stay on the time it first lost the DSL connection within the router config page. In the end i tried all the firmware Linksys suggested (and a beta), got fed up and they had it back.

Replaced it with a Zyxel 660HW and it has been faultless.
shellsong
Grafter

DNS Issue

I'm not sure that manually assigning the DNS would make any odds since, as I said, every time it has happened previously the logs have shown that PNs DNS pairs have been automatically assigned every time
The trouble is that it happens frequently enough to be annoying but too infrequently to troubleshoot properly-- intermittent faults, the engineers bane! :roll: