cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut off after bandwidth exceeded

SCookie
Grafter

I'm on PlusNet Broadband Home Lite with a Data Transfer Watch set to cut out when I exceed my built in 1Gb allowance. This morning I saw that I was going to exceed my allowance, so I thought for a bit of fun I'd see what happened when I did. I now wish I hadn't.

The connection was cut off as expected and, when reconnecting and viewing the PN website I saw I now have 2 Gb allocated. I increased my Data Transfer Watch to ensure I could use the newly allocated Gb.
However, the only website that I can connect to (with both Firefox & IE) is Plusnet. All others result in the following message:
"ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved
While trying to retrieve the URL: [blah]
The following error was encountered:
* Access Denied."

I have tried rebooting my pc and turning off my firewall.

To check out possible DNS problems I tried 66.249.85.99 instead of http://www.google.com but both give "request timed out".
I type "Tracert bbc.co.uk" I get "Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.131] over 30 hops" and then it times out.

Still waiting for PN to respond to my ticket, but anyone else had this problem?
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I've replied to your ticket, if you disconnect/reconnect you should be back online. I need to take a look into this to see why it didn't do it automatically. Do you know what time the connection cut off, might help to find out why it didn't work automatically?
SCookie
Grafter

Thanks. I'm back on line now. I think it was around midday that I exceeded my limit.
Ommin
Grafter

Thanks. I'm back on line now. I think it was around midday that I exceeded my limit.

Out of interest, what realm are you on?
SCookie
Grafter

Realm? I'm sorry, you've lost me. I'm currently at 80.229.nnn.nnn if that helps.
I'm told by PN that this was just a glitch. It is certainly most inconvenient if, each time you exceed your usage limits, you have to contact PN to get reconnected. But since I haven't seen much talk about this in the forums it does sound like a one off.
N/A

Cookenet, the realm is the part after the @ sign in your username...

Eg my user id (for adsl connection) is solstans@plusdsl.net which means my realm is plusdsl.net...

Richard.
SCookie
Grafter

@[blah].plus.com
Ommin
Grafter

Eg my user id (for adsl connection) is solstans@plusdsl.net which means my realm is plusdsl.net...

Do you know if the said information is available anywhere on the Plusnet site ( i.e. in My Account for example.)?
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Don't know about the website but, it's the last part of the login username you use to connect to PlusNet Wink
Ommin
Grafter

Don't know about the website but, it's the last part of the login username you use to connect to PlusNet Wink

I understand that and know what mine is and where to find it on my router. I am just trying to ascertain if it is readily available anywhere on the Plusnet site . If it is then I would assume the most likely place is somewhere in 'My Account.'
N/A

My Account->Connection Settings->Connection Details->

For me the 3rd item under "Connection settings for manual connection" is "Login name" and this gives me as hockey @ plusdsl.net, showing me as, I assume, in the plusdsl.net realm.

regards

Stuart
Ommin
Grafter

My Account->Connection Settings->Connection Details->
For me the 3rd item under "Connection settings for manual connection" is "Login name" and this gives me as hockey @ plusdsl.net, showing me as, I assume, in the plusdsl.net realm.

I saw that but I have my doubts.