cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Service

cfcws
Grafter

Customer Service

I have a request for some help from PN concerning the technical impact of web activity. I recently asked customer service for some advice concerning the correct product to be on if I plan to use Sky BB and VOIP. I wanted to know how these services would impact my usage. At the moment I use about 3.5GB.

Rather than being given any facts I was merely told to switch to Premier from BB+. There was no technical details given so I am left with the choice of increasing my cost by 50% without any clear guide as to whether it is necessary.

I have now found by accident a thread on here that describes the impact of Sky BB on usage as it uses P2P and uploads from my PC to others. This kind of information is important and has made me think twice about using it. However I could have switched to Premier without this knowledge.

My point is if PN set a limit on a technical aspect of the service, which I am not complaining about, then it should support its users by giving them clear information about the impact of diferent uses on their usage limit.

I shouldn't have to hunt around this forum to find that information.
19 REPLIES
cfcws
Grafter

Customer Service

Poor answer from customer service and silence on here.

This makes looking after my usage hard work.
N/A

Customer Service

Poor answer from customer service and silence on here..

It is nearly midnight on a Sunday night and only 25 mins have passed, this is not the most active time on the forums replies can sometimes be slightly slow :roll:

And yes you are correct Sky By Broadband is a peer to peer based system, it is managed as such and use of it on BB+ is likly to be both excruciatingly slow and kill your download limit especially as the Kontiki engine it uses for downloading does not stop when you close it and cannot seam to be turned off, for info you can kill KService I helped someone I know who had issues with this but the KService app will reboot itself somehow I never looked in too much detail but maybe something in the services manager of XP.
chymorva
Grafter

Customer Service

It is nearly midnight on a Sunday night and only 25 mins have passed,

...and eight days :lol:

@sjgcn: Agreed !!
N/A

Customer Service

...and eight days :lol:

I was only looking at the time oops Shockedops:
chymorva
Grafter

Customer Service

That's OK. I realised that but just couldn't resist pointing it out. Wink
JonathanW
Grafter

Re: Customer Service

My point is if PN set a limit on a technical aspect of the service, which I am not complaining about, then it should support its users by giving them clear information about the impact of diferent uses on their usage limit.

Unfortunately, due to the many and varied types of traffic it isn't possible to give a guide for everything that you might do. However on this page there is some idea about what usage levels different types of traffic will have.
shellsong
Grafter

Re: Customer Service

Surely, Jon, you must admit that sjgcn has a definite point in that CS seemed to be incapable of responding properly to a specific query about specific traffic types that he/she was interested in?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Community Veteran

Customer Service

indeed; PN know what's programmed into the hellacoyas; how hard can it be to write that down for us to understand?
JonathanW
Grafter

Customer Service

But from the sounds of it the OP was asking for an idea of usage figures, for example how much an hour spent downloading via SkyByBroadband would impact on his usage for the month.

That's certainly how I read his request.
holdtight
Grafter

Customer Service

Ok Jon fair enough if thats how you read it but what about Dans request
how hard can it be to write that down for us to understand?

it would save a lot of confusion such as the op has now and would probably reduce a fair amount of the confused posts within the forums

Would it really be that hard to do ?
JonathanW
Grafter

Customer Service

With regards to what's set on the ellacoyas, its simply a case of them putting the dfferent traffic types into queues. So currently anything that is flagged as p2p will be put into one queue, and will therefore be slower for Plus customers. Likewise, usenet gets put into a queue and slowed down for Plus.

That's the information that's been available for a while, and is already published on the site. Though it isn't possible to write down a list of what every piece of software out there would be classed as, simply due to the sheer number of programs that are available.
Community Veteran

Customer Service

so are you telling me that there is no list of wha each individual program is programmed into the hellacoyas as? :shock:
JonathanW
Grafter

Customer Service

so are you telling me that there is no list of wha each individual program is programmed into the hellacoyas as? :shock:

There's a list of which traffic profiles are programmed into the ellacoyas, however this is generally just to ensure that they are classified properly. What it comes down to, is that traffic of a certain type, such as p2p, is classified and put together in one section, and anything that is classified as usenet is put together and so on.

I've already said why it isn't possible to list it seperately for every single program that is available. The most commonly used programs are given their own profile, which to ensure that they are handled correctly. Where as having a profile for every program would lead to problems, similar to some of those that were experienced with WoW where it matched part of the signature for another program that was classified as p2p.
Community Veteran

Customer Service

So what programs are in each traffic profile - do you not know that?