cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Service Cannot help with my domain name

N/A

Hello,

I have my own domain name, crosweller.co.uk, and my plus net name, crosweller.plus.com. I want my own domain name directed to my plus.net name, and I also want to be able to send emails using my own domain name.

I got some gobbledegook answer from customer service and then closed the question by mistake and I hope I can get a more coherent answer from someone on this list.

Thank you.

david
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Did you look above and click on 'Help & Support' at anytime, this is well documented here.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Assuming that you purchased your domain name through Plusnet then any emails sent to anythingyoulike@crosweller.co.uk will automatically be diverted to anythingyoulike@crosweller.plus.com.

To be able to send from anythingyoulike@crosweller.co.uk then you just need to put this address into your email client settings in place of anythingyoulike@crosweller.plus.com.
costich
Grafter

crosweller, I am doing exactly what you want with own domain name. Is your domain a)registered or b)hosted with plusnet? If not, there are various possibilities depending on which firm you want your hostiing to be with. I currently use registration with another firm, and hosting with plusnet and this works well for me.
N/A

My Domain Name

I am not daft, but I cannot grasp this. On the web site it says:

Mail Settings
Here you'll see that the Default setting for mail delivery to your Domain is by POP3. If you wish to change this to deliver mail to your own Mail Server, you'll be able to configure the DNS records required in the advanced configuration section.

Simply check the required option. Mail delivery to your domain will change within the next 24 hours. We do not advise that you use this facility if you do not fully understand its implications.

I have this set on pop 3. I did this yesterday morning. For me to use the email from my computer I need details, such as a password to make it work. It doesn't explain how to do this.

I need someone to spell it out for me. David
N/A

OK, here goes.

If your domain is registered and hosted by PN you can forget all bout there being any difference between your domain name, and your default domain, made up form your username.

www.sallyandjames.plus.com is the same as www.sallyandjames.co.uk
(OK it ain't I haven't registered the second one, but pretend I had!)

Therefore an email to james@sallyandjames.plus.com is the same as an email to james@sallyandjames.co.uk
Its only the mailbox name which is important within your account.

If I had created the mailbox with the password 'letmein' I would need to use the login name 'sallyandjames+james' and the password 'letmein'

You have two ways to use these details:
Webmail - via the envelope icon on the PN homepage or
Client - Outlook (or similar)
If you need help setting up a mail client - post back for details.
costich
Grafter

crosweller needs to clarify whether his question is about domain hosting, or email configuration. He also needs to reveal where his domain is hosted. Some helpful people have assumed it is with plusnet, but this may not be the case.
N/A

Erm - I can't comment for anyone else, but I checked with nominet first to make sure I wasn't heading down the wrong path. Wink
Result of WHOIS query:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Domain name:
crosweller.co.uk

Registrant:
David Crosweller

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Registrant's agent:
Plusnet Plc t/a Force 9 Internet [Tag = FORCE9]
URL: http://www.force9.net

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 18-Apr-2005
Renewal date: 18-Apr-2007
Last updated: 13-Aug-2006

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ns1.force9.net
ns2.force9.net
ns2.plusnet.co.uk
ns1.plusnet.co.uk

WHOIS lookup made at 11:03:07 15-Aug-2006

--
This WHOIS information is provided for free by Nominet UK the central registry
for .uk domain names. This information and the .uk WHOIS are:

Copyright Nominet UK 1996 - 2006.

You may not access the .uk WHOIS or use any data from it except as permitted
by the terms of use available in full at http://www.nominet.org.uk/whois, which
includes restrictions on: (A) use of the data for advertising, or its
repackaging, recompilation, redistribution or reuse (B) obscuring, removing
or hiding any or all of this notice and (C) exceeding query rate or volume
limits. The data is provided on an 'as-is' basis and may lag behind the
register. Access may be withdrawn or restricted at any time.
N/A

Client

I understand about creating the new account (user name/password etc – other details would be the same as my plusnet account), I can do that, but I don't understand the bit about sallyandjames+james.

By the way thanks to everyone who is tring to help.

David
N/A

use your username, then a plus sign +, then the mailbox you created.

eg. The username woulde be
crosweller+james

if you had created a mailbox called james

The password is the one you choose when you create the mailbox, rather than the one you use to log into the main portal.
N/A

Still Trying

I am sorry James, I have tried that and it doesn't work. I have now deleted all mailboxes except for my default (crosweller.plus.com) and I want to start again.

Can you walk me through this step by step. If it is easier I can phone you!

Thanks, david
N/A

Got to go help a user in another office, I'll be back in a mo with a more constructive response.
Watch this space.
Community Veteran

@crosweller

Your domain crosweller.co.uk has not been configured for e-mail, or at least I should say when people send email to your domain, the e-mail clients do not know which e-mail server is handling e-mail for that domain.

See http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=crosweller.plus.com&type=ALL

It shows an MX record for crosweller.plus.com, this is a Mail eXchange record. When people 'lookup' your email address, it needs to be forwarded to the PN email handler mx.core.plus.net.

See
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=crosweller.co.uk&type=ALL

And you will see you that at the moment there is no MX record for your domain.

The link I sent you too previously states how PN can host the domain so crosweller.plus.com and crossweller.co.uk behave the same.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

MX Record

Dear SW,

Thanks for this, but I don't understand it. I understand what you say and I can appreciate the logic, but when I go to the PN page you directed me to earlier it just isn't clear to me how to make the changes.

This is why I have two friends who have just left PN, because there is no one to talk to and the web pages assume you have a degree of technical knowledge – which most people do not have. You just go reound and round in circles.

With no disrespect meant, I am hoping James can come back with something that makes sense to me.

Regards, david
Community Veteran

Hi David,

Sad

There were some questions above from costich, we need to go through, but I guess the nature of the questions meant you felt unable to answer clearly ... nerdy talk eh? Smiley

OK ... So.

Which company did you use to register/but the domain crosweller.co.uk? Was it PlusNet if not who was it?

When you receieve e-mail to <yourname>@crosweller.plus.com, what email client do you use to get that email? You currently provide it a username of crosweller+<yourname> ... Yes?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC