cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Speed Problems (Net in general - not PN)

N/A

Does anyone know what the current issue is that is causing the whole web to run like a dog? DNS lookups seem to take ages, and then pages load slowly. This is not just happening on PlusNet, and not even just on ADSL lines!

Any help and information appreciated.

Regards,

James Mayl
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi James,

This will sound ironic I know, but have you tried doing a BT speed test as well as Plusnets own and an ADSL Guide one?

If the BT test shows a slow connection result then there is either an issue with your line or contention. If BT tests show normal but ADSL Guide do not then you might want to speak to Plusnet about a possible wrong profile on your account causing you to be throttled.

Regards,
N/A

My post quite clearly states "This is not just happening on Plusnet, and not just on ADSL" - meaning that other people not on PlusNet (including our backup work connection which is BT) are having the problem, and our main work E1 line is also having the same problem.

My BT speedtest and PN speedtest are perfect.

Regards,

James Mayl
N/A

Hmm,

Well you say you have tried 3 different connections and all 3 are slow?

The net works fine where I am so the possible causes could be the connection ( lines at the premises where you are. If the connections ( E1 ) is in a different premises then I would have thought it would be exchange related.

Perhaps you should have a word with the CSC see if something has been reported as being the matter on your exchange.

Regards,
N/A

Perhaps the whole south of England is having problems then? Work is in one town, and home is 26 miles away. Also, I have friends in both London and near Southampton who are reporting the same problem to me.

Should also have said that our E1 line is terminated in our American Head Office, so our internet traffic goes out there from work.

I have asked the CSC who didn't know any problems with the PN network - hence posting on here to see if anyone else has heard of any wider problems.

Regards,

James Mayl
N/A

James,

Errm, in that case im completely stumped. had it of not been for the distance between connections and the wide spread problem ( as you have called it ) I would have perhaps said it could be a building issue and the lines within the building. But this is obviously not it and has been covered.

I wonder if anyone else on these boards has an idea ??

Regards,
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I thought that our works connection was running slower than usual today, and that's at the University of Liverpool!

Phil