cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could This Be why Some User Have Better d/l Speeds

N/A

This is a segment from the post by Dthomlinson

The other thing we can do with traffic management is again when the network is busiest allow different types of accounts to get a bigger slice of the bandwidth pie. So essentially we can set it so that the higher subscription accouts will see the biggest slices. Without this type of management every customer on your network, regardless of subscription cost, would be fighting it out for an equal amount

As a few post ive seen say that they have seen no different with there d/l speeds, only to say that they are paying £29.99 for when the 4meg is available

So could someone clarify as to what accounts are the ones with the least shapping on please,,Huh
16 REPLIES
N/A

Bassed on what dave says there, it would look like he refers to your speed.

IE, so 2 premier users, one at 512Kb and one on 2Mb. The idea being that although both fight for the same bandwidth, the 2Mb account may have 4 times the chance at getting a share than the 512Kb user.

The "4 times" figure was random, but I am sure you get the idea.
N/A

@acarr

thxs for the reply, this is whats confuseing is that why would some people want to pay the extra £7 pmht waiting for 4meg or the extra £17pm waiting for 8meg to be available,

thxs,
N/A

If I'm reading the quote correctly, what he's saying is that people paying a higher monthly rate can get a bigger share of the available bandwidth at peak traffic times. He's not saying that they do, only that they can set it that way if they wish. What I would like to know is, do they, or don't they.
Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

@jjtaylor

Thats the way i read it, and would like to know the same as you, what i dont like is when i complain about my d/l speeds and someone post back ie i can d/l at 230k so no problems with traffic shaping, only to find out they are on a 20:1 or paying £29 or £39 for 4 or 8meg waiting list so wondered if those accounts are less shaped..

thxs for reply
N/A

Well, I'm on 2MB £21.99, and I don't like to tell you this because it will probably upset you, but, I don't have any problems at all with speeds. My P2P works well at all times, except for crap sites or torrents, and my speeds at all times are very good. I don't pretend to know why other users have problems. It may be such things as exchange problems or poor setups, I really don't know. All I can say is that I dont have any problems with speeds.
Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

@jjtaylor

Well, I'm on 2MB £21.99, and I don't like to tell you this because it will probably upset you, but, I don't have any problems at all with speeds. My P2P works

No problem with that answer you gave you on same package as me but my argument was,

when i complain about my d/l speeds and *Someone post back ie i can d/l at 230k so no problems with traffic shaping, *only to find out they are on a 20:1 or paying £29 or £39 for 4 or 8meg waiting list so wondered if those accounts are less shaped..

thxs
N/A

Yes, I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is that I am on the same package as you, but, whereas you are having problems, I'm not, and I am at a loss to understand why, being on the same package, things are so different.
N/A

I'm on £14.99, 50:1 BB+ and my http download speeds are consistently over 235Kbps Tongue

I don't think PN are deliberately shaping my connection to keep me happy or as a reward for not using P2P! The only reason for the good speeds is that I am in a very small rural exchange with very few broadband users. There are only 150 residencial premises and 1 business sharing the exchage and most of those probably too far to get any ADSL at all.

Is it so difficult for people to understand that contention at the exchange has a much bigger effect on connection speeds than any shaping on the ISP side?
N/A

@udhiyana

I'm on £14.99, 50:1 BB+ and my http download speeds are consistently over 235Kbps

Why dont some people understand that the traffic shaping is done to improve http..voip..and online gameing

@jjtaylor

why, being on the same package, things are so different.

This is what is confuseing a lot of users, i can d/l in the day at 200+ from usnet servers, but at peak times for 3 nights in a row it was down too 25k - 50k

i did all the test btspeedtest etc VP checking and no problems at the exchange which is 300yrds away , i posted my test in ticket and here is reply i got from CS
2005-09-07
11:23:51
xxxxx xxx
Unused - Management (ISP) Actioned : Dear Mr xxxxxxx,
At peak usage times then this sort of traffic has less of a priority than http and email etc. Therefore this will be the reason for this. I would suggest that you try to schedule the downloads at of peak times, ie overnight, then you should see less of a reduction in speed. This is to protect and provide an acceptable level of service to all, as sold this is a contended product.
Regards,
xxxxx xxx

thxs

name edit due to forum rules
N/A

My exchange is a big one, and it's very busy as well. That said, I still can't see any reason for the differences in speeds other than, as you say, overloaded exchanges, or, and please don't get irate over this, it's just an observation I've made after sorting out lots of computers for other people, something amiss in the setup. That is, of course, providing you are on the correct profile at PN. I've read of a few cases that were on the wrong profile, so it has to be worth checking.
Regards, John Taylor.
EDIT
Just read your post, you must have posted at the same time as this one. I don't have a problem at peak times. I get good speeds 24 hours a day. Like I said, traffic shaping seems to have little or no effect on my connection. Do you think it could be your exchange is busy at these times?
Regards, John taylor.
N/A

like i said done all sorts of tests and line and exchange is fine , setup is good because i can d/l through the day at 200+ np problems ,,

posted at same time above..lol
N/A

below was test done at time of slow d/l speeds on usenet, and these i put on the ticket,,

NR Margin 17.8 9.0 dB
Line Attenuation 31.8 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 0 0
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 0 0
Data Rate 2272 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester2.nat.bt.com for user 014xxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1909 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is xxx.xx.xx.xxx, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

tracert portal.plus.net

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>tracert portal.plus.net

this test at 23.00
Tracing route to portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms visp.vortex.com [192.168.51.1]
2 36 ms 39 ms 40 ms lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.53]
3 48 ms 33 ms 38 ms ge1-0-0-204.ptn-gw1.plus.net [84.92.3.105]
4 36 ms 47 ms 49 ms gi4-0-23.pth-gw2.plus.net [212.159.4.21]
5 63 ms 45 ms 40 ms atm0-1-0.ptb-gw1.plus.net [195.166.129.246]
6 43 ms 33 ms 35 ms vlan18.pri.ptb-gw4.plus.net [195.166.129.130]
7 50 ms 66 ms 35 ms if2.ptb-al1.plus.net [195.166.129.39]
8 64 ms 49 ms 44 ms portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>tracert portal.plus.net

this test 01:00
Tracing route to portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms visp.vortex.com [192.168.51.1]
2 18 ms 20 ms 19 ms lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.53]
3 19 ms 20 ms 19 ms ge1-0-0-204.ptn-gw1.plus.net [84.92.3.105]
4 19 ms 20 ms 44 ms gi4-0-23.pth-gw2.plus.net [212.159.4.21]
5 39 ms 25 ms 26 ms atm0-1-0.ptb-gw1.plus.net [195.166.129.246]
6 25 ms 25 ms 26 ms vlan18.pri.ptb-gw4.plus.net [195.166.129.130]
7 25 ms 26 ms 25 ms if2.ptb-al1.plus.net [195.166.129.39]
8 25 ms 26 ms 25 ms portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>

thxs
N/A

Having read through your test results I'm unable to understand why there is such a difference between your speeds and mine at peak times. The problem appears to be somewhere in PN's network. You haven't upset anyone , have you ? lol
All I can say is good luck to you and I hope you get it sorted out soon.
Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

@jjtaylor

Do you think it could be your exchange is busy at these times?

That was i did the tests for and they show no problem at exchange or with btw itself, also a friend 50yds up the street on a diferent ISP has no problems we even connected to the same usnet server at the same time and i chated to surport for the server, as i was d/l he said there was no problems with the server which was true because my friends connection was maxing out, what he did say was that he was looking at the route and it appears that theres loading managment most probarly by your ISP, ok i knew this but too be able to only d/l at 25k - 50k is a bit over the top if its is plusnet.

thxs