cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost....

N/A

Cost....

Hi

Having joined PlusNet for 'free' and moved house for 'free'. I'm a little concerned that my Ts&Cs will change with BT...

I currently pay 13.50 a month after the recommends... Regardless of the takeover, how much can PlusNet or BT increase my costs by before it is considered breach of contract? e.g. Increasing my monthly fee to £50? Is there anything to legally stop that other than me just leaving? If I leave I have to repay lots of money, either way PlusNet/BT gain a huge amount of money from me.

Andy
5 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Cost....

Hi Andy,

If we were to increase our prices, which I would remain confident that we weren't going to, especially in the light of the price changes within BT Wholesale, this would probably be deemed a change to our terms and conditions and as such, all customers would be contacted and would be allowed to waive any contract terms (this does not include deferred charges) if they were to cancel/migrate within 14 days.

But again, I would not expect any price changes.
N/A

Cost....

I think thats the problem though James. The way I read the post was that if prices stay as they are now, the OP would be happy to remain a PN customer for the duration of his deferred costs being reduced to zero.

If something changes, and he wants to leave now(ish) he will have to pay the deferred fee's which he would otherwise potentially have never had to pay.

I don't think that the takeover is really pertinant, since regardless of this, PN could inflict prices increases and cause similar difficulties.

Perhaps with hindsight it would have been useful from a consumer POV to have had some commitment to prices increasing no more than inflation +/- a %age. Difficult for any technology company to commit to this sort of thing for a 5 year period though.

I guess the real answer is that whomever the ISP, prices have to remain competetive in order to attract new customers - I for one am not particularly concerned about price increases - the market is already very competetive, and in the words of Marco..... Wink
James
Grafter

Cost....

Agreed. It would make no sense for whooever were to own the company to raise prices, as, like you and MArco say, the ISP Market is already extremely competitive with a number of ISPs now offering pseudo-free broadband.
N/A

Cost....

If PlusNet/BT want to introduce new customers they could, in the style of mobile companies, make introductory offers to new customers only.

So if PlusNet needs a sudden injection of cash, they just have to bump up existing customer prices to a level where I (and others) decide to quit, they get my deferred fees, you could offset the outward move of customers by offering a competitive introductory offer, and the wheel starts moving again....

If things remain as they are with prices and service, I have no plans to leave. I don't feel I'm in a strong position though with my weight of deferred fees.... I guess that's why its been done like this...

Andy
James
Grafter

Cost....

I hope we don't. I don't agree with 'new customers only' offers as it completely goes against any loyalty that our existing customers have shown us over the months and years that they have stood by us.