cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost for moving plus upgrade

N/A

Hi,

I'm on the old 512Kb Easystart package (ends mid Jan 05) but i'm wondering what I would be charged in total (one off fee's plus my new monthly rate) to:-

Move house
Change my 512Kb to 1Mb
Maybe change to monthly contract (if i can do it before Easystart 12 months are up).

TIA! Cheesy
19 REPLIES
N/A

Easy start is that the one which comes with a modem, free connection etc. £24.99?

Aaron
N/A

There is also the aditional charges related to completing the Easystart contract.
N/A

Your tied into the contract for 12 months and to change down to a monthly contract you would incur a £99 cancerlation fee.

You can change to 1 MB account but as you've got an easystart account then your monthly cost will be slightly higher than advertisted, to cover the cost of the modem etc.

Aaron
Community Veteran

I don't think either of the above are correct...

As you are not cancelling your contract but switching to a new product, the £99 cancellation fee does not apply. This would only apply if you were migrating to another ISP or cancelling ADSL completely.

Item 6 of the Upgrade guide how to upgrade during your contract period:

6. Does upgrading affect my contract length? Can I upgrade if I have an existing annual Contract?

In just about all cases, an immediate upgrade will be possible without affecting your existing Contract period. Where you selected one of our 'deferred payment' options when you signed up (this spreads the payment of your activation or equipment costs over the first year of your contract), you will need to pay back the remainder of the outstanding deferred amount before the upgrade can be processed. You will be told of (and will need to authorise) any additional charges before your upgrade request is processed.

To find out the payment you need to make to pay off the remaining 'deferred payments' you need to ask via a contact us ticket.

You can also change your speed or contention when you use the 'Move My ADSL' option. You just need to specify what product you want to sign up for. Also the Easystart product is actualy a monthly contract so it will only cost you £14.99 if you decide to change products before you move or £64.63 if you change products during your move - note the £64.63 will be payable regardless of whether you change products or not so in order to save £14.99 I suggest you wait until the move before switching to a new product.
N/A

same boat

Hi m8
there a lot of us in the same boat and a lot of us starting to see the less attractive side of plusnet for the first time.
I stupidly thought that Plusnet would maybe see that this would represent more revenue plus a satisfied customer and not somebody who would wait till the end of my february easystart contract and migrate but instead all they do is pontificate about reading contracts /small print etc. and what we did and didnt sign up for. all I know is I signed up for the dearest 512 because it was heavily advertised at the time. Now it seems I would have been far better off had I signed up for a budget package.
I hope you have better luck than me and if enough people moan maybe they will realise how annoying this is.
my thread on same subject is
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20259
good luck m8 - but the first reply I got just made me feel its time to move on. I may even pay the £100 and move now, just because I can !
good luck
Roy
N/A

Peter,

I'm sure I've seen it spoken of here within the forums, that you can transfer your defered payments to your new account. I have an easystart account and when I asked about going to a 1Mb premier account, was told the cost would be £34.99 not £29.99 because I had defered payments. However in my case, 12 months is up in Sept.

As for the cancellation fee, I can see what you mean, but I was under the impression that easystart is a 12 month annual contract. So how could duckson change to a month contract? at the very least duckson would have to pay up front the remainder of the defered payments, before changing to a monthly contract.

Peter you quoted
Also the Easystart product is actualy a monthly contract so it will only cost you £14.99

wouldn't the upgrade costs would be higher with a monthly contract, £24.99, instead of £14.99 (annual contract)

An upgrade to increase your speed costs £14.99 inc VAT, unless you move from an annual to monthly contract, in which case the cost is £24.99 inc VAT.
csogilvie
Grafter

I think its:

Monthy -> Annual - £14.99

Annual -> Annual - £14.99
Monthly -> Monthly - £14.99
Annual -> Monthly - £24.99

Easystart = Monthly, with a cancellation fee.
N/A

If easystart is a monthy contract then it would be £14.99, but I'm sure easystart was a 12month contract.

Your current product (Monthly or Annual Contract) Broadband Home
speed option New Contract Choice (one-off charge)

Option 1 - Remain on same contract period or move to an annual contract
Option 2 - Any change that reduces your contract length

ADSL Home Surf, ADSL Home, Broadband EasyStart

Option1 Option2
512k £14.99 £24.99
1Mb £14.99 £24.99
2Mb £14.99 £24.99

I'm struggling to find where is says broadband easy start is monthly or anunal to be honest.

Aaron
N/A

I found this, I know it applies to the 1MB version, but I'm pretty sure the 512 easy start is the same.

Home 1Mb Products Announcement
Dear Customer,

Two new Home 1Mb ADSL products have been launched today, based on the forthcoming BT IPStream Home 1000 trial. The trial is due to start on Monday 6th October and orders are being taken now, for processing on this date.

ADSL Home 1Mb at £34.99 per month provides both low cost and flexibility of choice. Choose from a range of payment options, including a monthly contract with no cancellation fee. Hardware Starter Packs are also available at great prices, with a choice of modems/router and splitter/filters.

EasyStart 1Mb at £44.99 per month includes an Ethernet Router and line activation*. EasyStart also includes Virus & Spam protection for hassle-free email as standard.

Existing customers may choose to upgrade to ADSL Home 1Mb - a regrade/activation fee of £50 (ex VAT) applies. For Broadband EasyStart customers who wish to upgrade to 1Mb bandwidth, a special upgrade option will be made available shortly.

Customers who have pre-registered their interest will be contacted next week by email, however need not wait and may place their orders now via the product pages.

* Router and activation supplied free of charge subject to a 12 months’ subscription to Broadband EasyStart 1Mb, otherwise a cancellation fee of £124.99 inc VAT will apply

Aaron
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

The Easystart is a monthly contract account, so you can move off it onto a monthly contract for £14.99.

Satellite,

With regards to Easystart being the most expensive package - this is actually incorrect as it was one of the best value accounts we have ever sold. If you take the total cost of ownership over the first year from ourselves:

Easystart: £24.99 * 12 + £11.69 (P&P) = £311.57
Home Self Install: £21.99 * 12 + £70.50 (activation fee) + £44.99 (USB Modem) + £11.69 (P&P) = £391.06

So, even though it is more per month overall you saved a substantial amount of money, and had you chosen one of the other packages you would still have had to pay the fee to move across to the CBC pricing model.

Regards,
N/A

I was thinking up a speed upgrade, but I have now abandoned all thoughts of that. One thing I always want to know is the bottom line, and if the smart guys (I am not being sarcastic) contributing to this thread can't agree on the cost then I have not chance of working it out. Also sadly I don't think the guys on the end of the phone at PlusNet can either. Sad
Community Veteran

Easystart is a monthly contract with a minimum subscription of 12 months, during which cancellation charges exist as stated above. It is and never has been an annual contract product.

Item 6 of the upgrade guide explains how people with defered payments can switch to a higher speed or other product without paying the cancellation fee.

The cancellation fee is for when PlusNet are no longer supplying your ADSL connection (i.e. you cancel completely or migrate) so they can recover all the costs associated with the account. If you are remaining with PlusNet they have a method by which you can switch to a new product which is detailed in item 6.
N/A

charges

Hi m8
you are right - and it does sound confusing - but please disregard my earlier post as it seems I was wrong. I am an "easystart" customer which was a big mistake as the modem etc. is still in the box 7 months later lolol.
but I have to pay some extra - but only till my first year is up. however if you are not an easy start customer an upgrade would be a good idea I think
cheers
Roy
jberry
Grafter

The best way to look at this is to think of easystart of an "included USB modem and activation" account. On the new pricing scheme, if you want included hardware and activation then you pay £7.50 a month extra for the first 12 months.

As this is your "like for like" product this is what you would pay .. but taking the number of months on easystart into account. So, as an example to make this easier, if you are on easystart and had made 8 monthly payments of your first 12 and decided to move to the 1M premier account you would pay:
One off regrade fee for moving to 1M = £14.99

4 Monthly payments with inc. hardware and activation = (£29.99+£7.50)*4
= £37.49 * 4 months
Remaining monthly payments = £29.99

Hope that makes it clear,