cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct Analysis of PN's £9.92 Introductory Offer?

N/A

The ISP industry must be getting wary of PN, they read a little deeper than the headlines.

ISPreview describes PN's new introductory offer using words like "Sadly there are a few catches" and "There are a few more devil's in the detail HERE".
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?id=EEkyEyVEkpdAftAJPS
33 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Pretty standard stuff, and similar to a few other ISP's with similar offers.
Community Veteran

In my opinion this has dissaster written all over it.

We are already starting to see signs of creaking on the bandwidth front, how many more users will sign up because of this offer, my guess is thousands.

How many more threads are we now going to see stating things like "wheres my 2mb!?", "being charged to leave".

In all honesty someone at PN needs to have a long hard look - I would have thought it wise to sort out these traffic shaping and idle timeout issues with the existing userbase before attracting thousands more.

I'll state for the record that my belief is that this is going tobe be the straw that breaks the camels back. Without serious investment (which will no doubt be knocked back by greedy board members or shareholders) the bandwidth wil crumble before long. Get ready for more shaping folks. We know its taking place on premier, its about to come in with a vengence now....

I'll stand corrected in the future if this doesn't happen - but I dont' think I'll be wrong, and I know others share that view. Watch this space.
N/A

I'll state for the record that my belief is that this is going tobe be the straw that breaks the camels back. Without serious investment (which will no doubt be knocked back by greedy board members or shareholders) the bandwidth wil crumble before long. Get ready for more shaping folks. We know its taking place on premier, its about to come in with a vengence now....

Do you know what the real issue is with investing in such a network?

The users.

The very same users that demand that investment be made, sure as hell don't want to be paying for it.

The fine ballance between running on the two key words, quality but inexpensive services.

In the short term, it would make sense to light up and new pipe. Would certainly be covered by the profits.

But to keep such a quality going, you would be lighting new pipes earlier than they do now (not because they light one early, but because the gaps between them are shorter).

These shorter gaps mean that costs rise dramiticly, which may not be covered by future profit.

I agree, quality is a big issue for users, but the very same consumers are crying for low cost broadband.

You can't get one and the other at the same time. AT least not at the levels many are expecting here.
N/A

Its all downhill from now on...

Join Plusnet the WWW / Email Provider. They used to be an Internet Service Provider but thats only part time between 1am and 6 am now.

What you going to shape when you run out of p2p / usnet / ftp?
N/A

i like many others i believe would be willing to pay more i stated in my ticket that i would and felt other would too....even another product allowing this would be better
Community Veteran

Acarr,

great minds think alike - I have just been making almost the exact same post over on AG:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=2024348&page=0&view=expanded&...
N/A

The very same users that demand that investment be made, sure as hell don't want to be paying for it.

Wrong! I'd be happy to pay more for a reliable, unlimited service. In fact I will be moving to Zen shortly and paying more for the priviledge because I see very little, if any, dissatisfaction on their support forum unlike this one.

Some of us are willing to pay for the service we want. Unfortunately Plus Net aren't supplying that service any longer.
Community Veteran

Some of us are willing to pay for the service we want. Unfortunately Plus Net aren't supplying that service any longer.

Thats the problem "Some of us"
Unfortunately the majority probably aren't. :?
Community Veteran

They cna put the £3 from my easystart in the pot!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

In my opinion this has dissaster written all over it.

Err, why? I can't see what the downside to this is, feel free to enlighten me.

We are already starting to see signs of creaking on the bandwidth front

We are? That's news to me. It's not long since the last segment was activated and the network seems to be running at the most efficient it has ever been.

how many more users will sign up because of this offer, my guess is thousands.

That'd be nice, and as we've said many many times the capacity management programme is dependant on many factors including number of customers and type of account they are signing up to. The early part of the year has seen massive growth in Broadband Plus and Premier has remained around the same level. This offer is just for Premier. As such once we hit certain customer and revenue milestones the next segment will be prepped for action.

In all honesty someone at PN needs to have a long hard look - I would have thought it wise to sort out these traffic shaping and idle timeout issues with the existing userbase before attracting thousands more.

What do you need sorting? It all seems "sorted" to me. If there's anything that isn't clear let me know.

Why? It just doesn't make sense? Proper network management is a good and positive thing. Downright scaremongering is just not on. Why would we want to make the service worse for our customers? How does a bad service keep our customers or attract new ones? We are here to provide the highest quality service at the lowest price. We aren't here though to go out of business by speeding money unnecessarily. We will invest in the network, we invest as dictated by our capacity management programme, we invest to ensure we are providing the network and services our customers require. The traffic shaping is there to protect the network and protect the latency sensitive applications that our customers are using.
N/A

well the disaster is that it does nto plainly show that if you leave you get hit by the migration fee and the amount you saved for 3 months this should be highlighted i nthe add even by ** as you have for the cost.

Have you not learnt from past experience and the over abundent posts on this forum that have compaints about there migration fees and not seeing them when they came here as they were under the assumption that it was free like your last add said but it isnt really.

time for plusnet to return to school
Community Veteran

I dont mean to scaremonger from my post, but thats the view I take - you are of course entitled to your own.

I can say that I have not noticed any degradation of servicve on my connection, however I am not running at 2mb, so I am not expecting as larger piece of the pie as many others, perhaps this is why I do not see the effects that others are apparently seeing.

Yes another segment has been activated, but this only take sthe bandwidth back to somewhere near what was available in January - and thouands more have joined since then.

In terms of "sorting" I mean explaining to customers exactly what shaping takes place and when - also what are the limits before we get a warning mail? PlusNet seem the only ones able to determine what sustainable and unsustainable usage is - everyone else just has to guess at the limits.

I agree, why would you want to make the service worse for your customers? I don't know, and it would seem neither do PN - why introduce idle timeouts on to a broadband package? The whole ethos around the entire planet is "always on", while I agree this makes the network more efficient for those on it, it doesnt help those who may need their always on connection - so good for some = bad for others.

Why introduce traffic shaping on your "premier" products? There could be a multitude of other options to increase efficiency without tampering with your most elite of home user packages?

If anyone has started the scaremongering ball rolling, then PlusNet need look no further than in the mirror. Lets look at the changed decisions, the woolly T's & C's, the bad press regarding 2 expelled users, the now bad or at best "iffy" press surrounding this latest offer, the banter on may forums regarding how PN are shaping the traffic on premier accounts.

As I have stated that is my view and I will stand by it until proved wrong - you obviously have access to more information or at least the "plans" sent down from above.

However I draw my opinions from my interpretation of the various posts and threads going around at the moment. While many may be jumping on the "bashing bandwagon", it does seem that the numbers of people experiencing slow downs seems to have increased of late. It would appear from other posts and messages recieved that I am not alone in this view either.

Again, I can state that my connection has been just fine, and until I see any affect on my connection Im staying put.

Either that or until I can pursuade the missus that another £8 a month for 4-5mb on LLU is worth it! :lol:
N/A

i agree with chester i think kind of forgot some of it once i got to end lol....
how come it that much more for llu freedom to surf doing it for 24.99 for 8mb
N/A

We are here to provide the highest quality service at the lowest price

Wrong!!

You provide the highest quality service you can afford to give at the lowest price.

Its NOT the highest quality service.