cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contention ratio

N/A

Contention ratio

Just out of interest I was wondering how exactly lines are contended at the exchange. Im currently on 2mbit so if only 5 other people in the area are on the same kind of 2mbit would their only be 6 people on a line?

Im just asking out of interest as due to the area I live in I dont think many people will be using the higher speed services (cable has a good hold where I live so people wanting fast speeds will use them).
5 REPLIES
N/A

Contention ratio

BT don't ctualy release these figures for ISP inpection unfortunatly.
N/A

Contention ratio

fair enough, I was only wondering as im in an area where cable has a strong hold and a lot of users wont be on the faster lines. So when BTw does bring out a residential 50:1 package I might not notice being moved from 20:1 that im on now.
N/A

Contention ratio

Remembering from a (deep and meaningful) discussion on AG when the 1MB trial was underway and there were contention issues (even before BT admitted it ) you are contended at the exchange with all the other users regardless of the spped you are on. Think of it as slices of the pie - there might be 20 pieces - users on 256K & 512K get 1 piece each, 1MB users get 2 each, 2MB users get 4 pieces.

So, with a bit of investigation from Samknows or similar, you could probably get an estimate of how many DSL connections there are on your exchange, how many VPs and work out your likely exchange contention.
N/A

Contention ratio

ahh so that clears that up a little bit, how about LLU, if an exchange was LLU enabled would it be subject to the same contention or would be only be among those LLU customers.
Community Veteran

Contention ratio

LLU is completely separate and uses separate equipment. You will only be contending with other LLU customers but it is the ISP that determins the contention not BT for LLU connections so they could contend you with 100 others or 10 at their discrection.