cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contention affecting speed

N/A

My exchange was showing red on Sam Knows but has recently been changed to green on that site and on the usertools page. I had hoped that the speed variances I've been experiencing (e.g. 1000 tonight on a 2 meg line) would clear up when that happened. My line through the morning and afternoon can go as high as 1900+ so I know that my connection is fine.

Before I go to the trouble of getting BT speed tests done, does anyone think it's worth it or is this simply contention and nothing can be done about it?
36 REPLIES
clatz
Grafter

Like you, I am on a 2mb link and at this time I'm lucky if I am getting 850kbs. This is really disappointing. Last night was great with me getting the full 1.83mb throughput.

This has happened a few times since I've been on Plusnet. It always gets cleared up eventually and I have found contacting the support desk a waste of (my) time as all they do is take you through a lot of unneccessary tests and stages which never seem to cure the problem. Then, mysteriously after a couple of days, everything returns to normal.

Keith
Community Veteran

Just a thought are you two connected to pth-ag2 as it was giving hassle yesterday.
clatz
Grafter

I have to admit I have no idea what the pth-ag2 is, let alone if I'm connected to it Shockedops:

Performance yesterday was OK, just this evening is pants.

Keith
N/A

I also have no idea what I'm connected to or even how I find out. I think that it's contention though as we just had a powercut here and now that power has returned, I tried the speed and it's 1935. That may well be that some routers haven't reactivated their connection (mine does automatically)

Alternatively, it might just be coincidence. :?
N/A

From a command prompt type tracert portal.plus.net hit enter

That should bring up somthing like this

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\>tracert portal.plus.net

Tracing route to portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 50 ms 57 ms 50 ms lo0-plusnet.pth-ag3.plus.net [195.166.128.64]
3 33 ms 33 ms 33 ms ge0-0-0-403.pte-gw1.plus.net [84.92.4.1]
4 33 ms 32 ms 33 ms gi4-0-23.pth-gw2.plus.net [212.159.4.21]
5 38 ms 40 ms 38 ms atm0-1-0.ptb-gw1.plus.net [195.166.129.246]
6 39 ms 39 ms 39 ms vl4.pri.ptb-gw3.plus.net [195.166.129.226]
7 53 ms 39 ms 39 ms if2.ptb-al1.plus.net [195.166.129.39]
8 40 ms 39 ms 39 ms portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\>

The second hop will tell you what you need to know.

@paulevans - the power cut and subsequent reconnect may mean that your path changed off ag2 thus alleviating the problem.

pth-ag2 has been giving frequent problems for a while now. i understand it is to be replaced at some point in the future.
clatz
Grafter

Hi Mark, thanks for that little gem. I am indeed on pth-ag2. So that explains it.

I guess there is little I can do about it :-(

Cheers

Keith
N/A

Your welcome.

A reboot of your router / modem should find you are connecting using a different path. It might take a couple of goes but generally does the trick.
clatz
Grafter

Magnificent Mark, after 5 router reboots I am now on ptn-ag1 and running like a train :-)

Right, now back to Battlefield 2

Good man,

Keith
N/A

pth-ag2 has been giving frequent problems for a while now. i understand it is to be replaced at some point in the future.

I would like to hear what PlusNet have to say about this. Presumably half of all customers are coming in via pth-ag2 and therefore exposed to what is effectively contention as soon as they come in. How long must users put up with a service which is 50 percent below par?

Of course the vast majority don't check and don't know that they are throttled from the get-go. Does PlusNet have any intention of writing to customers to inform them of this widespread problem - which according to Service Status doesn't exist?

Simon
Alecto
Grafter

You can just use the which gateway? link to find out which one you're connected to.
N/A

One for the Comms Team,

There are a number of threads here and on AG highlighting the apparent issue with pth-ag2. As this has been ongoing for a while now, can we get an indication of what is being done and perhaps when.

At the minute there doesnt seem to be an acknowledgement that somthing is amiss.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Result from gateway check - I have not seen this before
You are currently connected to the "unknown" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pte-ag1.

Note: At the moment this could mean that you are on the "Telehouse East, Juniper 3" gateway.
N/A

iirc that is one of the newer gateways which was introduced a few months back and replaced one of the Redbacks.
N/A

mine say exactly the same

You are currently connected to the "unknown" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pte-ag1.

Note: At the moment this could mean that you are on the "Telehouse East, Juniper 3" gateway.

but when i do a tracert, it says i'm on:

lo0-plusnet.pth-ag3.plus.net [195.166.128.64]

which one is rightHuh?Huh