cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant low speeds

N/A

Constant low speeds

My broadband was fine until 2 months ago, i never had any problems with speed or dead connections. I never really made an issue out of it as the problem dissapeared a couple of hours later. But these last two weeks have been discraceful, every speed test i take the results show up slower and slower. I doubt theres anything wrong on on my side as ive had no serious problems untill now. Ive paid to get at least 1MB broadband but im just about getting 56K.

Here are the results of recent speed tests where it all goes downhill.

Speed Achieved (kbps)

Your current speed is:

155.10kbps

Which means you can download at 19.39 KB/sec. from our servers. Our results show that your current speed is below the level we would expect for your product, you may be able to increase the speed of your connection by adjusting your settings.

Damn that 12 month contract!! Sad
9 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Constant low speeds

Hi Mahey,

First things first, run a BT Speedtest:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

If this also gives poor results, please try changing your microfilter, ensure that you are connecting to your master socket, try unscrewing the faceplate from the master and inserting your filter into the test socket on the bottom half. This eliminates all internal wiring and proves service or lack of to the Master, which is BT's remit.
N/A

Constant low speeds

Hi there,

Indeed those speeds are poor. However Plus nets management should not be casuing that amount of degradation.

I take it you have not received any emails warning you of management levels being applied?

In the first instance it may be worth running a BT Speedtest

This will at least help to identify the source of the slow down.

In addition entering your phone number here may also give an indication of problems with your exchange.

Let us know how you get on and we'll take it from there.

/me needs to type faster. James beat me to it. Smiley
N/A

Constant low speeds

Cheers guys for the quick response. ill try out both suggestions
N/A

Constant low speeds

these are the results from my bt speed test:

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user xxxxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

49 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is xxxxxxxxxxx your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

My exchange is also showing up as green
James
Grafter

Constant low speeds

Yup, that's pretty shocking!

Do the filter change and wiring alterations that I suggested, and see if you notice any improvements?
N/A

Constant low speeds

jamesbailey you hit the nail on the head!

My latest speed test.

Your current speed is:

953.80kbps

Which means you can download at 119.22 KB/sec. from our servers.

Now the next question is how can i get my normal socket to work without keeping it unscrewed?
James
Grafter

Constant low speeds

Hi Mahey,

That would suggest that your BT Master Socket is faulty, and you would need to call BT Retail to get them to fix it.

Good luck with that :?
N/A

Constant low speeds

why the worried face!? :lol:

thanks for everyones help in this thread
James
Grafter

Constant low speeds

No reason!

*hides*