cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant and repeated loss of Synch (Ticket No: 20312661)

N/A

For several weeks now I have been suffering from constant (every 2-10 minutes) disconnections from the Internet.

The modem (Voyager 105) loses synch and goes into 'training' mode. I then have to redial to re-connect and often (but not always) first have to disconnect the modem, then re-connect it before redialling.

PlusNet have attempted to run checks but apparently they say that the modem may not be plugged in and powered up correctly - it is (I've had my poor laptop switched on for 12 hour days so that they can run the checks while the modem is powered up). I've confirmed that it was powered up etc on my ticket and am currently awaiting a reply from PlusNet regarding this...

Trying to rack my brains to see if the problem could somehow be my end.

I've disconnected the phone - problem still there. (thought it might be this as phone gets interference (sometimes but always) when modem is redialling, but as disconects keep happenening when phone disconnected, have to assume that's not the problem.

Have tried three different filters.

Have tried different line from router to modem.

Have disconnected all computer peripherals.

Have made no changes to laptop setup etc since problem started occurring.

Have nothing connected to phone line except modem and phone (which I've checked).

Have run several modem diagnostic checks. When its connected everything checks out as fine. Once its disconnected me it reports back with Network 'fail'.

Only things I can think of is:-

a) faulty modem (don't have a spare modem in back pocket to check this unfortunately)

b) faulty line from outside house. (Phone working fine however, and line only just checked by BT when reconnected just over a month ago).

c) something to do with the fact that I'm running the modem off a laptop (plugged into mains, but disconnected when not in use) rather than directly off mains or off a PC which would allow modem to be switched on 24/7.

Is there anything I'm missing here?

Not had any sort of service for weeks and seem to be getting no where with Plus Net's fault checking.

Help!

Stubby

(edited for glaring typos that as always only ever seem to occur after message posted)
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

One of my colleagues in the fault team has completed the tests on the line for you and replied back to the ticket. If nothing he's suggested helps please reply back and we can raise this with BT for investigation.
N/A

Tnanks for the reply. Connection is currently stable (typical) so I'm monitoring it and will contact BT (as per instructions on the ticket) if/when (ok so i'm a pessimist) problem starts to reoccur. Have requested that ticket remain open for time being.
N/A

Suffering from the exact same issue Sad
N/A

I have exactly the same, starts happening from about 7.30 to 8ish and continues until the morning after which it is stable Sad
N/A

Hmm, this doesn't sound good Sad

Its being okish at the minute...ie) only disconnected me once in the past hour, but it doesn't half mess with the phone line when it redials - hiss city...

BT report no fault on the line, sigh...

Anyone tried using a different modem? That's what Plus Net have suggested I try...I just don't have a spare modem in my back pocket at the moment. If it keeps on like this I'll buy one but I'm going to be a wee bit narked if I buy one and still have the same problems....
N/A

Sorry but they always suggest that, I was suggested to buy a new filter "Belkin" after searching the net (when it finally came back active last night after being down for almost 45 mins) i saw a thread on a popular ausie forum slating the belkin filter as being dodgy as sin. So i guess i'll be sticking with my ADSl Nation Pre Filtered wall socket.

It's been a seriously bad evening and day today i must of had about 40+ disconnects today Sad
N/A

Hmmm, I kind of suspected as much. I've actually tried three filters, its just the modem that I don't have a spare of.

I'm signed up on a month by month basis, and my second month's direct debit is just going through, so I guess I'll give them til the next payment's dud to sort themselves out...

And I thought I was doing well escaping from NThell, lol.
N/A

Good Lord give me cable anyday.

Also i wouldn't even bother trying a different modem unless the one you have right now is seriously awfull lol.

You'll probably find it will perform exactly the way your old/new one does at your own expense. You could go round in circles all day long buying and trying different equipment and still have the same results.

Its just a rule of thumb they ask you to try. Pretty much same with the PN CS phone number, all that recorded jibber jabber... No need for it. It's ok for the novice, but someone who is pretty much PC litterate just needs to speak with someone directly.
N/A

Oh believe me you don't want to go to NThell. I'd love to get Sky, but landlady breaks into hives if I so much as mention the words 'satellite dish'...sigh

So I guess I'll hold on to my money modem wise (got the Voyager 105 that Plus Net sent me) and see what happens over the next few weeks. If its still like this, then Pipex here I come....or whoever comes out top in the Which magazine, lol.
N/A

Yeah i've been thinking along tho's lines aswell...Pipex, Zen etc... Well it's Telewest round here but to bad for me when my flat was built they never got planning permission to finish off and apply the wiring to the flats, although the houses at the top of the close is fully enabled with telewest. Grrrrr. Could of been on full 10mb unlimited without any issue's of worrying if it's gona be windy or traffic lights and peoples fridge lights coming on...
N/A

My mate suffered from the same thing, it was pretty mad actually. It turned out to be his USB modem having issues, or rather his computer with the modem (still not sure).

USB is pretty dodgy as the more devices attached to your USB the less power and speed each port will receive. So if you use 1 port it gets 100% but if you use say, all 4, each one runs at 25% capacity.

To cut a long boring story short, I set an ADSL Router up for him and he hasnt had any issues since.

I am not sure if this is of any help guys, but I hope it is! If you need any assistance setting an ADSL Router up, feel free to PM me Wink

He was also on BT Broadband (not PN) and it started to happen just as Coronation Street came on! lol - and would continue until 7am the next morning! Crazy stuff if you ask me.