Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection unstable! :(

N/A

Ello guys!

Right heres basicly whats happening.

For the last day or so my connection has been dying if I use the net for more than a few mins.
When it does die I have to reset the modem and wait a few mins till it starts working again.

Now i'v checked my hardware and thats all fine, I did however notice that while my modem normally displays a 1900 or so data rate its jumped up to 4992.

However when I run the speedtest it still comes up as around 1900.
I was thinking they finally got around to upgrading my line speed, but im not sure. Even if they are it shouldnt be causing such problems should it?

Any idea's whats going on?

EDIT : I wont be home to check this again till 6:30pm tommorow, so sorry if I take a while to reply to any messages. Smiley
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looks like the regrade was done a few weeks ago which is why the speed has increased. I've made a change on your account so you should now be seeing an increase in throughput speed (you may need to disconnect and reconnect for the change to take effect).

Regarding the dropping connection there could be a number of reasons, do you know if the modem loses sync when it drops (usually indicated by a flashing ADSL light)? If so I'd first suggest taking a look at this:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if anything helps. The up to 8Mbps Max service operates on the limits of ADSL technology so any incorrect or faulty wiring or filters can easily cause this kind of problem when it perhaps wouldn't have been noticeable on 2Mbps.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You said modem, I take it that by this you mean a PCI or USB modem - what model is it? You may need to update the drivres. Yours wouldn't be the first to prove to be flakey at higher speeds when it worked OK at lower speeds.

Generally, routers are a far better option if you have to change. If you could borrow someone else's router or modem to check if it is your equipment would be a smart move.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Sorry I do mean router, zoom dsl x3 to be exact.

I'v tried 4 different routers borrowed from various people and they all have the same problem, it isnt the router.
I also removed all the wiring bar the adsl wire and the problem is still happening.

I'v changed to my spare Dlink DSL-G604T now however, yet the problem remains.

The routers dont lose synch, the only way I know the connection has died is the net just stops responding.
Even tried plugging them directly into my computer incase it was the wireless causing the problem.

Im pretty much certain it isnt a problem my end now.

What options do I have?

And any new idea's would be welcome. Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

When the connection dies does it show that you are still connected to the Internet? Looking at your connection logs there are a lot of short connections, most showing the disconnection reason as "user request" which means your router disconnected the connection.

If you're forcing a disconnect/reconnect to get back online then that would explain the user request and we are looking at a data transfer problem rather than a dropping connection problem. In this case I'd say to see if you can still ping/tracert

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/34

when the problem next happens. Trying running a tracert to one of our DNS servers - 212.159.6.9 and to www.bbc.co.uk and see what results you get.
N/A

Ok, the problem seems to have just resolved itself.

Got back from work and my net has been working perfectly for over 2 hours. I have no idea what happened, but its gone.

Thanks for the help. Smiley