cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed + wireless speed(2 seperate questions)

dragona
Grafter

Howdy! first of all i'd like to ask a question to you guys about my BRAS profile and PNet Profile for my line.. for the past week or so my rate has finally returned to what it should be. (after many months of being synced at 1700~1800 but now i have an issue where i seem to be syncing at 4600+ but onyl getting 3 MBit speeds (through LAN) my HighspeedBroadband tool on plusnets front end shows me as having a 4000 stable rate... however upon using BT's speed tester it seems my BRAS profile is still only at 3500 is this the cause for me only getting speeds of a 3 meg line? i would also like to know if i can get my target SNR lowered (i believed it was raised when i was having major issues just after christmas)

As for my second question.. Just got a laptop however whenever i download something it only seems to use half my connection speed (maybe thats a coincidence) but i seem to get about 140~170 constantly fluctuating as it downloads, are all laptops like this and is there a way to increase the speed my file transfers from PC-laptop seem to run fine, im using 802.11g - WPA2 with AES-CCMP as the encryption.

Thanks in advance
-Dragona
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Change the MTU in your router to 1500 should sort out the laptop.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dragona
Grafter

Hey! thanks for the quick reply ^.^

Im using the Netgear DG834G V3 and the only MTU setting si found wer eon the WAN connection i saved my current MTU value and then changd it to 1500 but i still dont seem to be getting a fantastic rate seems to be settleing at about 100 atm... then it will jut spike occasionally.

Got a 5 bar signal too. i tried the smae donwload on my laptop and my desktop (ofcoutrse at different times) laptop was getting about 100~175 and desktop is getting 415 flat

any other recommendations? or is there another place i can specify my MTU for WLAN that i have yet to discover? ^.^;

Thanks again!
-Dragona

Edit: Ah, realsie di had to use DR TCP Smiley changed both my RWIN and MTU seem to be getting pretty much full speed. though it still fluctuates alot compared to my desktop ^.^ tyvm ^.^