cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed is now 1.3Mbps

Derbo

I have a 2.0Mbps connection, I applied for an 8Mbps connection, which I got. I was then getting speeds of around 3.5Mbps, then suddenly I got reverted back to a 2.0Mbps and am now getting 1.3Mbps. I just don't understand what has happened my speeds are shockingly slow.
3 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at your line speed history it looks like your line is fairly unstable, the speed started off at 3.5Mbps but has since dropped down to 1Mbps and then back again and then down again quite a few times.

My first suggestion would be take a look through this to see if anything helps:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

Any incorrect wiring and filters could easily cause the speed variations you are seeing. The way that Max works is that the line will sync at the highest speed that it can. That means that it can change speed depending on factors like the wiring and filters or the weather or a whole host of other things.

BT also set a throughput rate limit on the line, if you run the BT Speedtest

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

it will show you what this throughput rate is at the moment (the IP profile). If your sync speed decreases then the throughput rate decreases straight away, but to go back up it needs the line to sync at a higher rate for 3-5 days.
Derbo

Thanks for your advice.

I changed my telephone wiring around and it increased by speed from 1.3mbps to 2.2mbps. However, if I just plug my internet line into the master phone line I get speeds of 3.1mbps, but once I put the extension plug on it to plug in my phone and Sky the speed drops to 2.2mbps, is this correct ?
Community Veteran

Try removing the ring wire from the telephone extensions.

Google will proved full details.

Chilly