cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed down to 160k

N/A

Cry

Over the last few weeks my connection dropped to around 448k and then over the last couple of days down to 160k.

I've tried rebooting my router and the problem seems to be getting worse as it takes around 5 min each time for the connection to pick up again.

http://www.l8nc.com/graph.php?jid=da223dcde81e347016ad2842849f576f

Any ideas? You can see from todays l8nc graph quite clearly where I rebooted the router first thing this morning and it did come back at 1M (my normal connection speed) until around 10am when the line dropped and it came back at 160k again.

I've been stable at around 1M since last year (after a debacle over being forcably moved to an LLU connection and eventually back to a BT max).

Raised a support call (21562905) yesterday (24hrs ago) but I've heard nothing as yet.

Regards,
Jules.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you can get it to run posting the output from http://speedtester.bt.com/ would be useful.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looks like your line sync'd at a rate around 160kbps around 20/03/2007 10:42:43, after dropping to 288kbps around 20/03/2007 01:10:19.

The way that Max works is that if the sync speed decreases then the throughput rate decreases straight away to match, but if the sync goes up again it takes 3-5 days for the throughput rate to go back up.

I would expect to see an IP profile around 160kbps from that BT Speedtest (the throughput rate).

Do those times tie in with anything that could have caused a line resync (they are usually to within about an hour)?
N/A

Hi Dave and elvin,

Many thanks for the rapid response. I've tried to run the BT speedchecker but it just sits there showing "Checking user details" and never seems to come back.

Actually, I've also just tried the hack mentioned elsewhere about disconnecting the ring circuit. This does seem to have made a difference and the link has come up at 1.6M with SNR 6.5 and Loop Att 61.5 (vs 160k, 9.5, 61.0). I'm not yet sure whether this is just another temporary improvement but my minimum response time as shown by l8nc has again dropped back to what I normally see (it did this this morning but only for a couple of hours).

So the jury is still out.

Dave, the resync you mention was only one of several from yesterday evening when I tried to reset the router and get it to go back to a more reasonable speed.

Just checked and I'm getting a download speed of 1664000 with an SNR of 8.5-9.0 so I'd say that disconnecting the ring circuit has made a difference but I'm concerned that something may still have changed at the exchange end to reduce the performance of my line.

I'll keep trying to run the BT speed checker.

Regards, Jules.
N/A

OK, I finally managed to run the test and got this:

IP Profile: 135kbps
DSL Connection rate: 448 UP, 1664 DOWN
Actual IP throughput: 99kbps

This was at 6:50am this morning.

Is it normal to have such a difference between the profile and the throughput?

Regards,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The actual throughput looks right compared with your IP Profile. The problem is your profile speed compared with your connection rate.

At least once in the last few days there has been a problem which has caused your modem/router to sync at around 135kbps - you need to find out what caused that. Dave has given you the time of one event - does that tie up with anything?

First thing to eliminate is the state of your telephone line. When you use the telephone are there any noises, crackles, hisses etc. Does it get worse in bad weather?

To listen to what should be a totally quiet line, dial 17070 and take option 2.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Thanks for the reply elvin, I understand the difference now and indeed the speed has been bad recently.

I am at the fairly extreeme end of the line from the "local" exchange so I don't expect miracles, its just that I've been stable for a while.

I have had an official response from PlusNet support now. They say that there was a "blip" (their term) on the connection! Quite what that means I am not sure though I already new that from looking at my l8nc graphs.

Anyway, whatever it was seems to have cleared now. I've not changed anything at my end and the phone line is always pretty much the same, not the very best quality but not bad.

What I have done is to follow the advise of a few other forum posts and disconnect my ringer circuit. This does seem to have made a very significant difference to the line quality and I am now at 2M with an SNR of 7.5 which is better than I've ever had so I am reasonably happy. I will monitor things over the next few days as the line settles back down to see how things progress.

Regards,
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Good to hear that it's better, chances are the "blip" was just some random noise event that you'll probably never know the reason for.

As an aside the reasons for the use of the work "blip" is because BT have a technology which is part of Max called "blip logic". What this does is that if you have one short decrease in the sync speed which then goes straight back up again the throughput rate will go back up straigh away rather than having to wait the normal 3-5 days. A second decrease in a rolling 14 day period won't see the blip logic take effect though.