cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems with massive packet loss

shellsong
Grafter

We've been having major problems connecting to sites including PNs this morning-- has anyone else been experiencing this?
We couldn't even get through to PNs ticketing system although our router's diagnostics were coming up green on all counts.
It seems massive packet losses were occurring whilst this was going on but now everything appears to be back to normal :?
11 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

There's no problems I'm aware of. Have you tried a BT Speed Test? There may be a contention problem at your exchange.
shellsong
Grafter

The universal panacea eh?-- Fire the BT Speedtest sergeant!-- But the wind's blowing towards our own troops, Sir! Cheesy
I suspect the packet loss situation we were suffering from had nothing to do with line contention-- that tends to cause speed reduction mainly.
It's probably fruitless trying the BT Speedtest now that the problem has gone away anyway although I have made a note of the IP addresses for possible future reference
Ben_Brown
Grafter

It may well be fruitless but unless problems with your line have been ruled out we can't really investigate any further.
N/A

this continual 'bt speed test' excuse is not really taking ownership of the problem. Pn are far too quick to voice this without any further investigation.

We pay plusnet for adsl not bt. It's rather like tescos or any other store turning round and saying 'take your products back to the maker' - but fortunately they don't.
N/A

this continual 'bt speed test' excuse is not really taking ownership of the problem. Pn are far too quick to voice this without any further investigation.

How do you suggest they diagnose potential problems? Send a member of the CSC out to your house to run the tests? Or send a BT engineer out. how would that work for some random punter who hasn't set up their connection properly? Whack a slapping big BT bill on them.

Taking ownership of the problem involves running diagnostic tests, tests laid down by BT, who wont move to fix anything unless the tests are done. Paying Plus Net for your service means that it is up to Plus net to resolve problems. But the end user must co-operate with the ISP to get these problems resolved.

How do you reckon the tried and tested diagnostic proceedures could be improved to suit you?

At the end of the day, irrespective of ISP, the same proceedures are adopted. This is not unique to Plus Net.

The BT speed test is one of the first tools int the armoury for dealing with problems. Thats why it is there.
N/A

what i said was that PN are all too often not taking responsibility for any problems.
shellsong
Grafter

When I posted this topic I was less interested in getting PlusNet to investigate what is quite possibly not an ongoing problem than in finding out whether others had experienced the same thing themselves or perhaps whether anyone (PlusNet or otherwise) had any idea what might have caused it!

I must admit, though, at the time we would probably have raised a ticket, had the option been open to us, but anyone from an engineering background will know that intermittent faults are notoriously difficult to diagnose and we were unable to communicate with PN whilst it was happening.

This leads me to point out that when you finally manage to load one page of the PlusNet site after struggling with a recalcitrant ADSL connection, it would be more than just useful to have the Customer Support number clearly displayed :!: :roll:
Neil_A
Grafter

Hi there,

I appreciate your frustration. But as a former BT Wholesale employee (responsible for letting ISPs know about BT Wholesale products and policies) I can absolutely vouch for the fact that BT won't accept faults through automated interfaces now unless a basic set of checks have been done. Every time.

Further to that ISPs are benchmarked with regard to how many 'false' faults they submit to BT Wholesale. And believe me BT are much more keen to work with ISPs who do as much diagnosis as they can rather than just chucking faults over the wall to BT.

PlusNet has always been ranked very well by BT compared to other ISPs and as a result PlusNet have a very strong relationship with BT Wholesale's service centres. This means that we tend to be asked to test many new BT tools. We've got the fault checker in our portal now and this will be further developed in the next few months to interract entirely with BT's systems directly.

Asking customers to do the BT speedtest absolutely isn't a cop-out. It's a way of ruling out exchange contention and CPE problems so that we can get on with finding the real faults quickly.
N/A

You didn't start testing some new BT products about oooh new years eve did you?
avalon
Grafter

Well I've been noticing some of the pages I've been trying to load (Including on the PN site) have been crawling tonight where others on the same site, sometimes even the same page when refreshing, have been zipping along nicely.

I don't think it's an exchange problem as it dosen't usually happen, and I'm in Scotland so I don't think I'm on the same exchange as shellsong. Wink
shellsong
Grafter

I must admit that we were feeling a little frustrated while it was happening but now I am more intrigued as to what happened.
However I don't think the BT Speedtester works retrospectively, so unless there is a repeat performance I may never know whether it would have showed anything of value!