cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection not due for 6 days... but here I am??

N/A

I've requested a move of my ADSL PAYG account to my new address... the line went active on Saturday, and the checker is saying it'll be 6 September before the ADSL connection is live in the new place.

However... I am sitting here typing away quite happily, with a 1 meg connection (by the looks of things).

So...! Couple of questions:

1) Is it usual for BT to act more quickly in re-provisioning a line, or have I somehow picked up someone else's ADSL connection?

2) It's showing I'm connected via Plusnet (through thn-ag1), so I guess it's a Plusnet ADSL service?

3) Will my using the connection before it's official "live" date cause any problems with the ADSLmax "settling-in" period? I'm about 600m from the exchange, so am hoping it'll go to 4 meg or so... but don't want to jinx it by connecting early!

4) When Plusnet read this post, will they pull the plug and make me wait till the "official" date? :?

5) I'm having trouble using outlook express to read my plusnet emails... it managed it once, but now I get an error message saying no host available. Do I need to alter any settings, or is there a general email problem at the moment?

Any advice welcomed!

Cheers,

R. Stanton
Kenilworth, UK
4 REPLIES
N/A

Its possible its an old connection.
All new provides are supposed to go straight onto MaxDSL (wherever possible)
Perhaps its a fluke and its a PN connection from a previous resident?

Shouldn't make any difference though, just use it and see what happens in due course.
N/A

All new provides are supposed to go straight onto MaxDSL

Not sure that this statement is true. I have seen new provides to IPstream2000 and IPstream1000 when MAXdsl is available in the exchange. Also BT openreach price list give the charges for IPstream provide with no indication that these are being phased out.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Sometimes BT will activate the broadband early, looks like this is one of those cases. Often if there's an engineer at the exchange they'll do all the orders in the system at the same time regardless of when the activation date has been requested.

Reminds of something someone told me the other day. There's an exchange out on one of the islands in Scotland where the engineer goes out every Thursday. Request your broadband by close of play Wednesday and you'll get it Thursday, so some people will wait a week and some just a day.
Community Veteran

All my dsl work has been done on Wednesdays. My line was due to go live on a Friday I tried on the Wednesday and it was live. I called PN and they initiated my full connection at their end so everyhting worked early.

It sounds like that's what happened for you, BT doing their work while they were at your exchange on their weekly rotation.

Glad it's running. Good to hear praise for BT and PN too.

A