cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dying...

N/A

Since yesterday my connection keeps dying on me, my line isn't losing sync or anything like that, it's just dying...but not disconnecting.

Basically, the lil 2 computers icon stays in the corner of my screen, but goes dark because no data is being transferred, but it won't disconnect and redial, even if left for hours on end and the line never actually loses sync.

This is most frustrating as my connection has been fine for months, then out of the blue this is happening, any idea of the cause?

ie: I left a download on today, about 2 gigs in size, got home and it'd hung at about 60MB and hadn't disconnected and redialed in over 8 hours Sad
47 REPLIES
N/A

I have been having the same problem for the last month or so, connection dies. Can't dl lecture notes... servers for games dissapear and i get booted, spend ages writting an e mail then click send only to find it dosnt get sent and i loose it -same for forum replies on the medical forums i use- basically nothing really works.
I have been informed that the virtual VP at my local exchange (whtever that is) is broken and the fix date it set for today and then i would seen dramatic improvments. Well nothing has got better yet, still on sub 1mb speeds and had about 20 loss of connections today.
Will give it a day or two then will exercise my fingers by transfering to another ISP. I don't really want to be a moaner or get involved in the down side of the forum comments but as a non-techie who really needs the net at home to work i'm getting annoyed and a bit upset as some days i have to drive back to the medical school and sit there till late to work on essays etc which means i can't even wander off for a tea and have to drive home late and tired.
I relly hope things improve as i was with Pipex for years no probs now in this new location things are not good.... hope its just the exchange and things get better now the VPs are getting fixed. Come on Plus net i only use a few Gb a month (5 at peak 2 this month as not been able to use any more!) and am happy to pay my premier subscription for those few Gb.

Hope to be on here more as a happy bunny.

Damian
N/A

just thought i'd add that I can barely get any connections to last longer than 20/30 minutes tonight!
N/A

I have had similar issues aswell tonight, not quite sure whats going on.

I had to reboot the router a few times and its been fine for about 3 hours. It still seems to just die though for about 30 seconds and then come back alive. Never had these issues before, and it cant be contention because I am now on 20:1 from 50:1 ?

Any PlusNet Official word on this..
N/A

Me too, have just raised a ticket via the online broadband checker. My router was fine earlier then suddenly it's lost the connection and won't reconnect. Connects fine to bt_test@startup_domain , and bt_test_user@plusdsl.net. It did this a week last Sunday but that time I revived it by flashing back to firmware 2.10.22.

I must say, I don't like paying for something that doesn't work...
N/A

hiya
you are not alone with these problems
i had a solid connection till a fortnight last friday then bang
up and down like a yoyo at times
dont lose sync with exchange all ok
but everything else goes only way to get connection back working
is to either go into router and disconnect and reconnect with
there software tool or the old finger on the plug bit Sad
noticed today aswell
my irc runs comms ok see chat windows running etc
but no IE or email works
reboot time
have been in the ticket system for a bit now trying to sort it but
getting nowhere, every question under the sun
even wat undies my setup is whereing
sorry joke!!
but they are trying , so good luck m8 if i get any updates will let you now

hoping for the best as i pick the router up and throw it throu window :lol:

Rob Cool
N/A

Glad to see i'm not the only one having this problem, but it's becoming really f'ing irritating, I can't get any serious downloading done at all during daytime off peak hours, meaning I have to my downloads during Peak hours in the evening when I can manually reconnect, this is quickly using up my Peak time allowance...grrrr!!!

Thing is, can anyone from PN comment on the cause/remedy, or shall I go ahead and file a ticket, go through all the "copy and paste" replies that assume we're all morons and make us do the most pathetic little tests, until in a few weeks, they'll maybe admit there is a problem.
Simon22
Dabbler

Same here, mine has been disconnecting for abour 2 weeks now, always in the evening. The router just restarts and finds he line again, as if I have flicked off the power and then on again.

I called Plusnet but they just started asking me if I had it plugged into the right phone line.

Have had a seperate phone line for it since 03, only started disconnecting in the last few weeks.

The amount of threads surely means something is amiss.
N/A

I should re-point out that my problem is NOT a case of the line losing sync, in case anyone elses problem is, please note that the problem is my line going idle, but staying connected with full sync!
shellsong
Grafter

We get the same sort of symptoms although in our case we have been "fortunate" enough to experience it less than once a day so far.
The router seems to stay in synch but seems to cease proper communication with PlusNet's DNS although the primary and secondary servers can still be pinged-- we have to reboot the router to reestablish DNS contact! :?
N/A

What are the primary/secondary servers so I can ping them and check the next time it happens, cheers!

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary]
shellsong
Grafter

In a ticket to me CS said:-

"We have 4 DNS servers available for customers to use, would suggest that you
manually specify them on your connection (if using a router, specify it on the
LAN settings of the computer and on the router itself, if using a modem specify
this in the network tab under TCP/IP)

Primary 212.159.13.49
Secondary 212.159.13.50

We also have a secondary set if those aren't working too well for you at:

primary 212.159.6.9
secondary 212.159.6.10"

My router autoconnects to the first pair normally according to its log

Hope that's of help. Smiley
N/A

Many thanks, have added those to my settings, let's see if it makes a difference!

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary and against the rules]
N/A

Just run 3 tests on each of them:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download Speed: 940 kbps (117.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 230 kbps (28.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 941 kbps (117.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 231 kbps (28.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 940 kbps (117.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

No stuttering at all on any of the tests.

Download Speed: 886 kbps (110.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 225 kbps (28.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 914 kbps (114.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 938 kbps (117.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Noticed alot of stuttering and general jumpiness on all tests.

Download Speed: 881 kbps (110.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 934 kbps (116.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 835 kbps (104.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

No stuttering at all on any of the tests.

Download Speed: 881 kbps (110.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 218 kbps (27.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 779 kbps (97.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 225 kbps (28.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 915 kbps (114.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 229 kbps (28.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Noticed a bit of jumpiness on all the tests.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed the same sort of stuttering when I tried a speed test when random disconnections kept happening. It may be something to do with the speed test but out of three tests all of them on both of the secondary DNS Servers stuttered?

I dont know what it could be maybe someone with more intelligence on this issue could offer some reason to it?
N/A

I've tried connecting with both sets of DNS servers, made no difference, just dropped out again *cries*