cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection is randomly dropping

N/A

My connection keeps randomly dropping and the sync light on my router blinks or goes out. I've tried looking on this forum but people only seem to have problems if they recently upgraded? I've had no changes to my speed as far as I'm aware or didn't ask/was notified of any.
I submitted a support message and it said they would test everything and to check for results in 2 hours.. over 15 hours have passed and there is no reply. I called the f9 support phone number which I have to say is completely USELESS. I followed the steps and it just told me to do the online check on the website which I already did. I'm paying for a service I can barely use (connection on/off rapidly).

Help!
18 REPLIES
N/A

Cry unlucky, how long you been with F9? Everyones having many problems recently, 2 choices, stay with them or leave them :?:
N/A

Hello cmoody63,

If as a paying customer you DONT feel the service being provided is "fit for the purpose" then as a consumer you could either goto trading standards locally or request your MAC key to leave as they havent provided the service your paying money for?

Ivan
N/A

Re: Connection is randomly dropping

My connection keeps randomly dropping and the sync light on my router blinks or goes out. I've tried looking on this forum but people only seem to have problems if they recently upgraded? I've had no changes to my speed as far as I'm aware or didn't ask/was notified of any.

How long has this been going on? Is it a recent thing, since the bad weather?Can you hear any noise on your handset? I suffer from dropped connections after heavy rainfall, due to water getting into the cable joints. Once the rain packs up and things start drying out, I am okay, until next time!!

You could try reporting a fault with BT via their web page stating that you have a noisy line (not an adsl problem). BT do some line diagnostics and this can sometimes cure the problem.

Mark
JonathanW
Grafter

If BT run their standard line checks, as sugested by Mark, and this doesn't resolve it, then the next step would be to go through the faults trouble shooter that you can find in the help assistant. This will run you through the diagnostics that we need to perform in order to investigate a potential ADSL fault.
N/A

Cry unlucky, how long you been with F9? Everyones having many problems recently, 2 choices, stay with them or leave them :?:

A few years, but not with this account. I am definately considering leaving if this is not resolved soon. I would rather suffer the week or so that it takes for a new ISP to set up connection with NO internet at all.. than weeks more with an incredibly unstable connection.

Hello cmoody63,

If as a paying customer you DONT feel the service being provided is "fit for the purpose" then as a consumer you could either goto trading standards locally or request your MAC key to leave as they havent provided the service your paying money for?

Ivan

The service is definately not "fit for purpose" and I see f9 doing nothing to help. I haven't even seen any response other than automated response concerning the report I submitted. It says I should expect response within 2 hours and well, it's been 20 hours now.. I know I'm not going to get any support over the weekend so I really wanted to get this sorted today.

How long has this been going on? Is it a recent thing, since the bad weather?Can you hear any noise on your handset? I suffer from dropped connections after heavy rainfall, due to water getting into the cable joints. Once the rain packs up and things start drying out, I am okay, until next time!!

You could try reporting a fault with BT via their web page stating that you have a noisy line (not an adsl problem). BT do some line diagnostics and this can sometimes cure the problem.

Mark

This has only started happening in the last few weeks and yes it could very well be weather related. There is no noise on my handset (you mean phone line right?). My connection used to work fine in the rain so I don't think that's it unless something became exposed recently.

If BT run their standard line checks, as sugested by Mark, and this doesn't resolve it, then the next step would be to go through the faults trouble shooter that you can find in the help assistant. This will run you through the diagnostics that we need to perform in order to investigate a potential ADSL fault.

I already went through the faults trouble shooter and it didn't help. I'm waiting for a reply from the support team. The thing is, I feel like my report has been completely ignored and I feel very cut off from any help from f9. I've not received any response in 10 times the time I was told I would receive one and the phone support is useless because it just tells me to use the website trouble shooter WHICH I ALREADY DID. How do I actually talk to real people? It seems to me that f9 is at fault and you are not willing to accept it. Nothing on my end has been changed at all. The router is functional and no settings have been changed.
N/A

Hello cmoody63, this si exactly the same issue Ia m experiencing you have described it exactly.
Mine has ben occruing now for about 2 weeks Force9 havent opend a call with BT they have ignored me on the portal and I have given up on thier useless telephone line.
I am a busines customer also which are supposed to take priority in such matters but I can assure you I am getting now special treatment.
If you notice there is no one from force9 disagreeing with us be that a user or a member of the support team, they are just posting the usual support bable about we are very busy and trying evrything in our power to resolve those issues due to the high volume of BT issues from the MAXADSL upgrades blah blah blah.
If they are overwhelmed by issues then its simple they have to hire temp support staff, hand out lots of ovetime to current staff.
I can understand they want to penny pinch by not doing this but at what cost this forum is full of unhappy users at the moment and unhappy users means migration I am tied in for 1 year but I have sufficient grounds IMO to end this contract and not pay a penny because I am paying for a servuce which
1) I am not getting
2) force9 are in no way attempting to resolve my lack of service.

If thats not grounds for early termination what is ?
Sorry to jump on your post its just I am o angry with them at the moment I just need to vent :lol:
N/A

Hello cmoody63, this si exactly the same issue Ia m experiencing you have described it exactly.
Mine has ben occruing now for about 2 weeks Force9 havent opend a call with BT they have ignored me on the portal and I have given up on thier useless telephone line.
I am a busines customer also which are supposed to take priority in such matters but I can assure you I am getting now special treatment.
If you notice there is no one from force9 disagreeing with us be that a user or a member of the support team, they are just posting the usual support bable about we are very busy and trying evrything in our power to resolve those issues due to the high volume of BT issues from the MAXADSL upgrades blah blah blah.
If they are overwhelmed by issues then its simple they have to hire temp support staff, hand out lots of ovetime to current staff.
I can understand they want to penny pinch by not doing this but at what cost this forum is full of unhappy users at the moment and unhappy users means migration I am tied in for 1 year but I have sufficient grounds IMO to end this contract and not pay a penny because I am paying for a servuce which
1) I am not getting
2) force9 are in no way attempting to resolve my lack of service.

If thats not grounds for early termination what is ?
Sorry to jump on your post its just I am o angry with them at the moment I just need to vent :lol:

Yes, I'm tied into the contract too and they are not fufilling their side of it. I think it's good that business accounts take priority. Even though I'm only a home user it's pretty frustrating and I can't believe they are taking this long about it. Most of my life revolves around the internet you know Tongue.

"Force9 havent opend a call with BT they have ignored me on the portal and I have given up on thier useless telephone line."

This is exactly the thing that annoys me most. If they just said ok this problem will be resolved by next week. Fine. It's a pain that I don't have a usable connection but if it takes them some time to fix it then Ok... but just being ignored like this is going to make me leave... I feel completely ignored -_-;

When I saw that you said you were having exactly the same problems I thought there would be a solution following >_< wishful thinking.
N/A

Hi guys,

F9 seem to have just lost the plot frankly, it would seem ALL technical support has been withdrawn. F9 are doing an excellent job of totally alienating their customers. The BOOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SILENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is deafening??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ivan
N/A

Hi guys,
I am having the same issues with my connection dropping at random times, mostly at night times though, I also have opened a ticket using the fault checker, as suggested by our good friend cyteck, last week. It has now been a week plus a few hours, and i have had no support whatsoever, not one email. I am equally frustated, and have been looking for another supplier, but i am tied to a one year contract also, which luckily for me ends next month, but i will still have to pay activation and modem costs. This is my first broadband contract and it is leaving scarred, surely there must be better supplier out there. If i leave would i still have to pay activation and modem costs, as my service is totally unusable at night time, with constant disconnections?
N/A

Hi wtfitzpatrick,
Join the club I am another member who force9 dont give a*oss about and I am a business customer who are supposed to take priority
:lol:
You can obtain a MAC code and most other ISPs offer a free migration service and free modem etc.
If your a Business customer I would recomend Star because they have a 99% guarantee on thier ADSL service.
Residential then depends on your requirments really I was with Virgin for a while I found thier support good and had no issues with the line at all.
But if your looking for uncapped unlimited downloads then maybe you want to try bulldog but I here thier support is still bad but better then Force9 at least anyway..... although thats not hard :lol:
N/A

Hi guys,
I am having the same issues with my connection dropping at random times, mostly at night times though, I also have opened a ticket using the fault checker, as suggested by our good friend cyteck, last week. It has now been a week plus a few hours, and i have had no support whatsoever, not one email. I am equally frustated, and have been looking for another supplier, but i am tied to a one year contract also, which luckily for me ends next month, but i will still have to pay activation and modem costs. This is my first broadband contract and it is leaving scarred, surely there must be better supplier out there. If i leave would i still have to pay activation and modem costs, as my service is totally unusable at night time, with constant disconnections?

I know what you mean.. broadband is a real pain.. Infact I'm using dial-up right now! The plot thickens: so I decided to see if it was my router acting up.. I downloaded some new "firmware" from the netgear website.. go into the control panel on my router using the 192. blah and then began uploading the new file. Connection error.. Oh look now my router has no software on it -_-; will not respond what-so-ever and even the "reset to factory settings" doesn't work. I am well and truely screwed.

Thankfully, there is this godlike thing called DIAL-UP which NEVER fails you.. especially since so many people are on broadband now (=low dial-up traffic). Final Fantasy XI online is capped to 56k speeds anyway (not that you would ever know it) and I am eternally grateful that f9 supplies a dial-up number in this dark, dark hour.

I LOVE DIAL-UP! It never let me down like broadband does. I haven't used dial-up for about 3 years but I sure did miss its flawless service. Never would it crash as much as broadband.

I highly recommend people use this much less frustrating option whilst the problem is being fixed. It may be slow, but at least you KNOW you are getting somewhere... albeit slowly but surely.
N/A

Hi cmoody63,

Your story about the firmware update to your router, sounds similar to a PC bios update. NOT so many years back (before automatic file back's) if you were going to firmware update anything the maker/s normally gave you a very BIG STERN!! clear warning that if you applied the incorrect version update your bios you could be screwed up your system permanently.

I wonder if this is the case with this router?? In some instances I have heard that its possible to undo this kind of situation but I have experience of this myself, sorry! I dont even know how its done. Just that in some cases its possible to recover the bios,etc.

**YES! apologues I know this is abit off topic.

Ivan
N/A

Hi cmoody63,

Your story about the firmware update to your router, sounds similar to a PC bios update. NOT so many years back (before automatic file back's) if you were going to firmware update anything the maker/s normally gave you a very BIG STERN!! clear warning that if you applied the incorrect version update your bios you could be screwed up your system permanently.

I wonder if this is the case with this router?? In some instances I have heard that its possible to undo this kind of situation but I have experience of this myself, sorry! I dont even know how its done. Just that in some cases its possible to recover the bios,etc.

**YES! apologues I know this is abit off topic.

Ivan

Yea, this is exactly what has happened to my router. I can't undo it because the settings reset button on the back of the router doesn't work.
N/A

Thats sad news about your router Force9 should put more in depth in thier basic checklist RE firmware update.
If your router has been working fine since you have had it i.e months weeks then it is nothing to do with your firmware it is always not recomended to update your firmware unless you see on the manufacturers web site saying "update to stop disconnection issues" or somthing like a security flaw eith the router etc.
Never do it Force9 get you to do that so then it *ucks up your router so you then have to buy a new one or deal with the manufacterers and not them.